1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Look at me!! I met Manny!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I thought the column was going to end differently. I can see the value of writing a Manny Is Really A Nice Guy column but not that way.

2. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

There is a column there in the hands of a talented writer. Reporters and athletes often make small talk about common interests. Two golf nuts might talk equipment or compare notes about local courses. But they aren't setting tee times together. A normal player who is interested in Armenian food would ask for a recommendation and file it away in his mind. Manny basically asks the dude to take him out to lunch. Is Manny an idiot savant? Is it child-like innocence? Is he crazy like a fox? You could use it as opportunity to explain who this guy is. Or you can use it to drop names and give us insight into how much of a self-absorbed starfucker the author is.

Draft saved Draft deleted