1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Longview (Texas) News Journal SE

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by redsox99, Apr 22, 2007.

1. redsox99

redsox99 Member

The original post has turned into anything but a posting about this potential job opening. So, for what it's worth, another SE in the Cox chain told me that the position is likely to be filled by a former sports writer on that staff who left sports about a year ago. But, that's purely speculation.

For those interested, I haven't seen a job posting yet and it's possible the job won't be posted. However, if they do open it up, this would be a nice place to go. Longview is a nice town to live in, about 60-70K and close enough to Shreveport and Dallas. Great gig for preps as this is East Texas football at its best from the small schools on up.

The staff is small and they try to cover a fairly large area despite the small staff and limited resources. But they are partnered with other Cox papers, so copy sharing does exist. And back when I lived there (but didn't work at this paper), they did very little travel.

If anyone has anything constructive to add to this post, jump in. Hopefully this thread will stay on the job opening.

2. dargan

dargan Active Member

Longview's about 80,000-85,000 with a circulation in the low 30,000s.

3. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

finally, a voice of reason. thanks for the info.

4. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Look, from now on, all newspaper jobs will be either eliminated or filled inhouse. It's spreading from what I hear like a bad flu. Publishers and their beancounter buddies don't deserve the air they breathe.

5. dargan

dargan Active Member

Position filled...former sports writer-turned-city editor going back to sports to be the editor.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Care to elaborate what the name is? Especially since you have given so much information.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

he obviously would not.

8. dargan

dargan Active Member

Jack Stallard

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Thanks.

10. redsox99

redsox99 Member

This is a good hire for Longview. Jack is good people.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

thanks jack's mom.

Draft saved Draft deleted