1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Long time Pittsburgh reporter leaves paper to start own site

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Elliotte Friedman, Jul 21, 2014.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think the P-G has some content behind a pay wall, but most of it is free. No pay wall for the Tribune-Review.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

If he really thinks there is no precedent for what he is trying to do, he really failed miserably in doing his research.

Getting people to follow him on Twitter is one thing. Getting them to actually pay for a subscription is entirely different. I also don't see what he is going to offer that Pittsburgh sports fans can't get for free from many other outlets. I know Dejan and I've read his work for many years. I wish him well, but I don't think his name has that much weight in Pittsburgh.

I hope he has some tricks up his sleeve that we don't know about, or at least some big-time sponsorship.

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Agree with this.

I also want to know what "will travel" means. There are other guys who started similar sites who would travel when it was either drivable, or a huge NFL game and would use stringers the rest of the time and sometimes pretty obviously were writing stories off the TV.

The best thing that can come out of this is a major website likes what they see and they hire him away.

4. Up to 1,300 subscriptions (1,000 in the first day with 40 percent signing up for three-year plan). Not seeing any award-winning stuff yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted