1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Long, but entertaining: Spider-Man 3

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, May 2, 2007.

1. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Saw it today. Good, but not better than the first two. Action-packed. Couple of slow parts where I rolled my eyes, but overall good. Venom kicks ass and Sandman was cool.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!!!
    Could have done without Mary Jane singing.

I think Ron Howard's daughter got a boob job at some point. I saw her in Manderlay and she was kinda flat-chested.

Bruce Campbell was awesome. Better in this one than the other two BY FAR. Funny stuff.

Wish they would make a Venom movie, but with this ending, I don't see how they bring Brock back.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

It's called "having a baby..." She was pregnant during filming and gave birth in February. If you've seen any of the junket shots, you'll notice she's having a tough time shedding the baby weight.

3. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

i didn't even recognize her. wow!

4. RokSki

RokSki New Member

SpiderMan 3 set a one-day record in ticket sales:

http://money.cnn.com/2007/05/05/news/funny/bc.film.spiderman.reut/index.htm?eref=rss_topstories

5. kokane_muthashed

Ahhhh, didn't know that.

Also of note, I saw it 11:45 a.m. and there were only 15 people in the theater. I was shocked; thought the place would be packed. Of course, it's playing on 6 screens in my town.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Anthony Lane pretty much nails the serious flaws of this movie, as far as I'm concerned. To use "And then a meteor fell out of the sky, and some black goo randomly grabbed onto, of all people, Peter Parker!" as a plot device is just plain lazy.

http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/cinema/2007/05/07/070507crci_cinema_lane

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Our place only had three, dammit.

8. kokane_muthashed

Two different theaters too in my town. 3 screens at each. I think I musta gone to the rundown theater.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Semi-spoilers below....

Just saw it tonight. And yes, there are some huge plot holes, and it was sloppy to have the meteor just happen to land there and the stuff just happens to find Peter.

And when Harry's butler tells him what he knows about the death of his father, I wanted to reach up and smack the guy....might've been a good idea to share that info with Harry just a tad earlier, you yutz!

The parts with Venom really were short and they could have done a lot more with him. Kinda like X-Men 3 in that they put so much in it that they might have been better off splitting all of it into two movies.

The difference being Sam Raimi made it work in a way the goofball who directed X-Men 3 never could. For the time I was watching the movie, I couldn't have cared less about plot holes, predictable moments or any of the other stuff you could pick apart.

My wife, not at all a comics fan, came away saying this was the best of the three movies and I agree with her. The fight scenes were the best yet and the effects, particularly Sandman, are spectactular. Some of the humor is cheesy, but all of it is funny. And, of course, Bruce Campbell kicks ass.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

It's a fun summer movie. I could have done without all the squalling mopery by Maguire. I don't care how much crap Spider-Man is going through, nobody needs to see him as a wuss. Would not bring the kiddies to this one. It's Dumbo instead and "When I See An Elephant Fly" again at the top of our lungs.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

JLB, that's what the character is about. The character's popularity has always been more about Peter Parker than Spider-Man. That was the genius of Stan Lee and the artists he worked with creating so many of the Marvel heroes. There were already heroes with super powers, but Lee's characters had humanity. They fuck up. They cry. They lose. They have lives outside the costume.

My only problem was Maguire with the quivering lip near the end. Seemed very over-the-top.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

outofplace, I can buy that and understand it. But I'm not in the habit of watching superhero movies for the superhero's delicate side and "humanness." The duality/duplicity is totally shopworn at this point. Really weak.

One of the worst things that happened to the Batman franchise was turning Robin into a whiny sissy. Jiminy, the Burt Ward character had more testicular fortitude.

Draft saved Draft deleted