1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Long, but entertaining: Spider-Man 3

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, May 2, 2007.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Everyone with respect for the character's history should have a problem with that.

Again, certain things are fundamental to a character's entire mythology. Do you make Superman be born on Earth? Do you let Batman's parents live?

Of course, they already shit all over Doctor Doom's origin, maybe the best in comic books, so it was only a matter of time before the Spider-Man people lost their way a bit. know I'll like this movie. But what a unnecessary decision to make.

EDIT: Heard about the "ending." I have no issue with that. Spider-Man was never a lifelong revenge tale like Batman. It was all about taking responsibility for being able to prevent others from going through the same tragedy. I just wonder why the filmmakers really thought they needed to introduce this element into the story.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Dammit....somebody slap a SPOILERS tag on this thing now, will ya?

I agree with Piotr on the Uncle Ben thing ....but this is nowhere near as awful as what they did to Doctor Doom. That was truly awful. I kinda liked the movie, but that bugged me, too.

And please...please...until y'all see a Spoilers tag in the title of this thread, keep the ending out of it, ok?

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, just like in the Michael Keaton edition of "Batman," they had the Joker as the unknown killer of Thomas and Martha Wayne.

I suppose in the next Superman sequel, we'll find out that Lex Luthor went back in time and had Krypton destroyed as part of yet another real-estate swindle.

And regarding Doctor Doom in "Fantastic Four," that was truly atrocious -- they took a character that was truly scary and ominous (one of the original inspirations for Darth Vader) and turned him into a jealous ex-boyfriend. They got the LOOK right, when he finally got into the armor suit and cape, but the character itself was all wrong. Doctor Doom would never, ever ever, cackle "this is going to be fun" before a battle with the FF. Never. That took a movie which could have been a B+ movie, and sank it to about a borderline C-minus.

The trailers for "Rise of the Silver Surfer," look very good, however. Hopefully they'll quit fuckin' around with Doom and make him a power-hungry, totalitarian Latverian dictator.

4. outofplace

Aren't there different versions of the killer of Batman's parents in the history of the comics? One where he never finds out who it was. Another in which it is a character called Joe Chill, which is the one they went with in Batman Begins. Besides, all DC can always retcon it during the next "event."

I didn't mind the whole Joker thing in the Michael Keaton movie at the time, but I didn't know as much about the character then.

5. CaliforniaRed

CaliforniaRed Member

Man, I adored the first to Spidey flicks but was downright disappointed in this one. Yes, the action scenes were all that but I never felt like I was begging to jump from one fight to the next in the first two movies. They botched everything that wasn't an action scene in Spidey 3.

That said, I dorked out and saw it by myself in the IMAX and will likely see it again soon with my wife. And yes, this totally sh!t all over the comic-book origins in a way it never did in the first two flicks.

Critics giving this a B- to C are dead-on. Go see it so we can pray they make up for this debacle with a rousing fourth movie.

And if Tobey leaves, the franchise should retire with him. This isn't Batman, where it's OK to change up the man behind the mask. Peter Parker has always been more important than Spidey in the comics and now, movies.

6. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I absolutely loved it, and I'm a long-time Spider-Man fan...

Were there some things I had problems with? Sure... But it didn't stop me from being entertained the whole way...

And, of course, I shed a tear at some point during the movie, as I seem to do at every Spider-Man movie :)

The movie length wasn't a problem for me at all...it kept me enthralled all the way...

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Tried to go see this with a few friends tonight, but three showings were sold out at the local place.

8. outofplace

That's what I was worried about...went to reserve tickets online tonight so the wife and I could go see it tomorrow.

9. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Going to see it later today at 11:45 a.m. with my 9-year-old son. I expect to be pleased. Speaking of which, I should really be going to bed.

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Is it better than one or two? No, but it's far better than the debacle that was Superman. It's an enjoyable two-hours plus of mindless fun.

11. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Out of the Marvel trilogies, this one is the best third chapter for sure.
    X3 sucked as, and I'd rather completely forget Blade Trinity all together.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Joe Chill was introduced in the mid-1940s, the first time DC delved into the backstory of Bruce Wayne's parents' murder, and more or less stayed constant thereafter. (Although I am sure as you note, it has been retconned out of existence in one of the innumerable "Crisises on Infinitely Universal Earths" they run every four months or so.)

In the original story, Batman reveals his secret identity to Chill (who has become a gang boss in the interim 20 years or so) in an attempt to get him to confess to the crime (he does).

[​IMG]
    However, Batman still does not have enough evidence to arrest him (this, in the pre-Miranda 1940s) and lets him go. Then, Chill brags to his underworld pals that HE was responsible for the Batman, since he committed the murders that spurred a young kid to become Batman.

The mobsters freak out, blaming Chill for the fact they now have Batman breathing down their necks 24/7, and drill him. Unfortunately, before he dies, he neglects to mention to anyone who Batman really is.

Draft saved Draft deleted