1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Local sports weeklies/monthlies -- any in your town?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by espnguy, Mar 13, 2009.

1. espnguy

espnguy Member

Since the Boston Globe earlier this week closed "OT," it's weekly standalone sports tab that debuted only last fall, and the general malaise that daily newspapers and sports sections are experiencing, it got me thinking.

What cities around the country still have dedicated sports weeklies or monthlies devoted to in-depth coverage of their local pro and college (and even prep) sports teams? I'm not talking about prep papers, or something like Blue&Gold (which covers Notre Dame), but bonafide general interest, all-sports publications.

Two immediately come to mind already:

* Press Box in Baltimore, which shifted from a weekly to a monthly last November, but also significantly increased its online presence to make up for the reduction in printed issues.

* Sports Page in Dallas, which remains a weekly and is one of the best sports pubs I've ever seen.

So, I'm throwing it out there: anyone know of any other local sports pubs in your neck of the woods? If so, what makes them so good, and why?

Draft saved Draft deleted