1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Local newspaper with front-page picture of car and deceased's family

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by i_work_for_editorhoo, Nov 21, 2008.

1. In a local paper (thankfully not that one I work for), a picture was printed on the front page of a car being removed from a river/creek. The thing is the man that died in the car- his father is shown in the background and two of the man's children are also in the picture.

Some people on the newspaper's website are pretty upset that they would publish a photo of three grieving family members of a man that had just died.

Also, two of the pictures taken that day are on the website's "for sale" part.

What are your thoughts on it?

I'm new, so I don't know how to post pictures if anyone wanted to see what I was talking about.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Haven't seen the photo. Sounds perfectly fine to me.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Sometimes, getting a shot like that captures the emotion better than words could.

I would have a problem with it if they printed a picture of a dead body.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Small towns always have a problem when reality is pictured on the front page.

Having the pics for sale is a different story.

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be surprised if video images of the exact same thing were shown on the evening news.

6. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I understand the news value of them, but I also waffle on whether to publish them when I think of how I'd feel. I consider myself pretty private emotionally and would feel somewhat exploited when grieving right after losing a loved one. Sure we have to consider our jobs, but we shouldn't lose our compassion/empathy while doing so.

7. The photos:
    http://thecourier.mycapture.com/mycapture/enlarge.asp?image=21340338&event=629927&CategoryID=19318

http://thecourier.mycapture.com/mycapture/enlarge.asp?image=21340337&event=629927&CategoryID=19318

8. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

People are upset about those photos? They aren't even close ups of the grieving family.

Selling the photo seems kind of dumb, but that is likely a technical problem whereby all photos are available for purchase and the system doesn't have the ability to mark some photos not for sale when they are uploaded to the website.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yeah, I wouldn't even notice the people in the background. Hell, I couldn't even figure out which ones were the grivers.

Much ado, nothing.

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

WFW.

"How dare you people publish that photograph of poor Mr. Johnson's car trunk showing from the forest? You only put our photo in the paper when we die."

11. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Seeing the photos, I agree. If they were up in their faces, that's a different story.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

People are the worst.

Draft saved Draft deleted