1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Liz Phair's strange new album

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TheSportsPredictor, Nov 15, 2010.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Was listening to my iPod the other day when a track from Liz Phair's new album popped up. I thought nothing of it when I uploaded it along with a couple dozen other new albums. I figured it would be full of a lot of guitar-driven, possibly angry rock just like all her other stuff.

Wrong.

It's not spoken word, but that's in there.

It's not dance music, but that's in there.

It's not rap, but that's in there.

It's not dialogue, but that's in there.

One thing's for sure -- it's not guitar-driven, angry rock.

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/10/liz_phair_explains_every_track_1.html

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I'd let Liz Phair do horrible, terrible, unspeakable things to me.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

She wrote a review of Keith Richards's book in the Time Book Review yesterday that might have been longer than the book itself.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Read that. Or should I say skimmed it. It was more book report than book review.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Make you appear in a JDV video?

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Saw her play in a coffeehouse in 1993.

She is one of the sexiest women on the planet. Just something about her.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Are there any songs about graphic fucking or drinking cum? That's really her calling card.

8. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

You're thinking of Reba.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That Reba.
    She's a firecracker.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Makes me sad what happened to Liz Phair, arguably one of the great female songwriters of her generation. She probably could have had a steady, critically-acclaimed career that was appreciated by a niche group of fans. But instead, she tried to catch mainstream success and outside of "Why Can't I," it was a disaster that only alienated the people who actually liked her music in the first place.

At least she's writing music now that attempts to be smart and personal, even if it's awful. I doubt she has another Guyville in her, but at least she's not trying to be a cross between Britney and Sheryl Crowe anymore. Somebody's Miracle is one of the worst records of the 2000s.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Yeah, crazy that she'd abandoned those 15 scary obsessed fans to try for mainstream success and millions.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

15 fans? Do you even know who Liz was before reading this thread?

Draft saved Draft deleted