1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Living with gout

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, Jul 26, 2007.

1. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I got it a couple years ago. Worst was about 1 1/2 years ago when I had it in my toe/foot for 2 weeks. I actually considered cutting my foot off with an ax it hurt so bad. I've been on Allopurinol since and have had no bad flareups.

I might forget my anniversary, my kids' birthdays or where I put my car keys but I NEVER forget to take my Allopurinol.

2. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Wow...I didn't realize it was this common...best wishes to all.

3. Colonel Angus

Colonel Angus Member

Another anti-inflammatory you can take (it's prescription) is indomethacin. It can often turn an attack around, especially when you use it w/colchicine (which does indeed have various unpleasant gastric side effects).

I'm allergic to allopurinol, so my doctor put me on probenecid, which does essentially the same thing. I've also stopped drinking. I don't know which one it's due to (possibly both) but I have significantly fewer attacks today than I used to.

My doc also says I have pseudo-gout, which is like gout except the crystals formed are calcium pyrophosphate instead of uric acid. I've had my knee really swell up a few times and had to have it drain.

4. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

The drug of choice for an acute flare of gout (an inborn error of the body not to metabolize uric acid) is Indomethacin 50mg three times a day. steroids can sometimes be usde. Colchicine has fallen out of favor because of teh high potential fro side effect.

Allopurinol decreases the body's production of uric acid and is therefore used as a preventive drug, but is not usually prescribed in the acute flare.

5. boots

boots New Member

Doc, can you talk about Uric Acid and what exactly is it.

6. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

Let's be careful out there. Gout is a serious problem.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's serious quality.

The odds the originator of this thread actually has gout? About 1 in 1 million.

8. Pete Wevurski

Pete Wevurski Member

Used to take Indocin to treat an attack -- I recall it erased the pain in an hour or so -- but so does 800mg of Ibuprofen if you're caught without Indocin.

However, since I've been taking Allopurinol, I can't remember the last time I had a flareup. Is Allopurinol that good? Or, in old age, has my memory gotten so bad? (Thankfully, the former.)

9. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I've had it in my left ankle and foot for a few years now, and man does it suck. Some of the worst pain I've ever experienced.

I've found Allopurinol sort of iffy, but with all the endorsements here, maybe I'll look into upping the dose or something.

10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Had my second-ever attack on Monday. My reaction: just like the first time, I phoned my dad and called him a #$@!&%$# bastard, since heredity is a major issue and he's had it. I had to stop a pre-scheduled round of golf a hole early, because I was in too much agony to finish.

I'm taking Indomethacin right now. One pill, twice a day with food. I hate pills of any kind, but I might have to start with allopurinol. My father takes it, and there appear to be limited side effects.

11. In Exile

In Exile Member

This is what works for me: No beer, particularly American/Canadian in cans for some reason, lots of water, no nuts, cut way back on the meat - shrimp and beer in combination with dehydration causes mine to flare up - and yep, eat lots of cherries, which reduce the acid levels in your blood. Last time around, as soon as it started up, I also used the home back massager on my foot right away - seemed to break up the crystals, I was able to avoid the anti-inflammatories entirely and running a day later.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and wash them down with a fifth of jack.

Draft saved Draft deleted