1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

living in Toledo?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rufino, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

My spouse's career possibilities may result in me moving to Toledo. So far I know this much about the city: it has a good zoo and there are some decent concerts held there. Tony Packo's was mentioned in MASH. That's pretty much what I've got. Can anyone fill me in on what it'd be like to live there for late 20s to early 30s couples?

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

A buddy of mine interned there. I sent him an email, but mostly what he did was drink.

A lot.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Isn't it only an hour from Detroit?

Old, late baseball writer at our joint used to tell us he'd been all over the world and Toledo was the only place where he was scared while walking around the city.
    This was a long time ago. Maybe it has upgraded. I once "won" a lottery at our paper and didn't have to go there on assignment.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yes, but its also an hour from Ann Arbor

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

It's better than Dayton. That's the best I can tell you.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

But how far is it from Tahoe?

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Had to pitstop in Toledo one day. IIRC, lots of malls there. And Jamie Farr hosts an LPGA event there; or used to.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

what else... wait, traffic.. 16 minutes...

The good: On Lake Erie, great ball park, Packos, an hour from Detroit and Ann ARbor, 90 minutes from Cleveland, decent parts of town, cool architecture if you hit some parts of the area, likesouth -- greek revival type houses.
    The bad: It's rust-belt, some parts are run down, it's Ohio, it's 3 hours from Columbus, other than Toledo and the burbs, there isn't much else.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Someone - you can look it up - once wrote that Dayton was "Siberia with 7-11s."
    Me? I like Dayton. But I also like slurpees.

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I once wanted to work at the Dayton Daily News because I thought their building looked really cool. Then I found out that was just the press building, and the actual paper was in scary downtown Dayton.

Ballpark looks nice though. One of about 4,000 Fifth Third Fields in the country.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Reporter at one paper I was at was in Toledo for a hoops tournament. After settling down in their hotel room, they heard glass breaking.

Ended up a stray bullet came through the hotel window. This was downtown, fairly close to the SeaGate Center. The room was on one of the higher floors, so there wasn't much danger of getting hit because of the extreme angle the bullet had to take.

Hotel did give the reporter a different room after that.

And yes, Toledo and Jamie Farr still host the golf tournament. It was this past weekend.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

That must have been the MAC tourney ... I covered one at SeaGate. The area around the convention center and hotel was interesting to say the least.

Most of it Toledo is a dump ... plain and simple, with some decent parts interspersed, but the shitty parts far outweigh them. The Perrysburg/Maumee areas south of town aren't bad, and if I were for some reason to find my career headed there, that's where I'd go house-hunting.

Check out Frickers if you want some decent cheap food.

Draft saved Draft deleted