1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Live from Afghanistan, it's Saturday night! Or, t_b_f's on the road!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Mar 19, 2010.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Finally made it to Afghanistan. We're about 500 meters from the water "treatment" facility, so you can imagine what it smells like when the wind blows just right.

We got here just before midnight on Sunday, and I racked out about 0300 local and took a short nap so I could get my sleep schedule straightened out today.

It's OK here, I guess. The chow ain't bad, and the sun tan is free. I'll probably spend more time at work than in my room, since work is upwind of the shit ponds. Our rooms are a little cramped because of the influx of people. We've got six in rooms made for four. I guess the good part is that all of us will rarely be here at the same time, as we'll be rotating around to different FOBs to provide coverage for different units.

I just dropped $124 on a $20 phone and 1000 minutes, then walked over to the internet dude and dropped another $100 on a month's worth of what amounts to dial-up. Maybe a little faster, but it ain't high-speed, by no means.

I'd better run. Time to get some chow, a shower and relax a bit.

Thanks for your support, guys. It means a great deal to me that I can get on here and vent, and you guys just cheer me up.

Oh, almost forgot. The Canuckistanis have built a fucking hockey rink right in the middle of this place. I walked by it today, and they were playing. They had one pretty hot chick out there, too. I'll try to get some photos. :D

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Glad you made it safely 3B. How will your assignment work ? Will you be at a base area waiting for Medivac calls?

3. three_bags_full

Yeah. From Kandahar, we cover a few other locations, so we'll all be rotating out to the forward sites. Flying is a pretty small part of my job, in particular. I've got a platoon of folks to take care of and make sure they have what they need to do their jobs, first and foremost. My platoon is charged with operating our small command posts, and since they're spread out, that's not the easiest task. But we're managing, so far.

4. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

Best of luck over there, three_bags. You're a cut above, and we're pulling for you.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Be safe, man.

Be safe.

You are in my prayers.

6. Gues#t

Gues#t Guest

Keeping you in mind.

I once saw a two-man ARVN chopper in Rock Jaw trying to take off, rookie pilot; I swear the helo was rotating while the blades stood still. The thing got up about six feet and came down in a cloud of dust. Nobody hurt, thank God.

Tell me, please, what do you do with the collective to make that happen?

Keep those blades turning and land lightly.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Reason no. 1,492 why SportsJournalists.com is bookmarked on my computer.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Godspeed, TBF. Hope you have the most boring Kandahar Resort vacation ever and get back home soon. (And say hi to my brother while you're over there.)

9. three_bags_full

Depends on the issue.

Obviously, helicopters have to deal with a phenomenon called torque effect. Blades turn one way. Body turns the other. Like a twisted rubber band.

If there was no malfunction, then the pilot just needed to add some left (or right, depending on which way the blades turn) pedal. That would've increased the pitch in the tail rotor and stopped the spin.

If there was a tail rotor (anti-torque) malfunction, then reducing power would reduce the spin. But then you've got to deal with that pesky little ground issue. In my helicopter, we pull the engines offline and accomplish an autorotative descent to the ground. That is to say, land the helicopter with no power.

10. Gues#t

Gues#t Guest

Bravo Zulu, three; now we know. It's a good thing when everyone can walk away from something like that.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

TBF explains flight to SportsJournalists.com

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Our best, TBF. Stay safe. Take care ...

Draft saved Draft deleted