1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Live blogging

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Love_Sports, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Love_Sports

Love_Sports Member

anyone know what the NCAA rules are for live blogging? how often, how many, etc.?

2. occasionally

occasionally Member

NCAA championships, and any blogging/real time rules, are governed by the NCAA. Since there are no championships going on right now, assume you mean regular-season games -- those are governed by teams and/or conferences.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

This is Florida State's policy and I think the rest of the league is going to adop it, too:

INTERNET REALTIME POLICY 2008-09

By acceptance and use of your media credential, the holder agrees to the following conditions for any and all athletic events hosted by Florida State University:

Florida State grants a media organization a limited license to use certain gathered information on the media organization's own Internet or online site beginning at the start of event competition and through the conclusion of such event, all subject to the following limitations and conditions:

(a) Video and/or audio of the event competition may not be used on an Internet or online site prior to the conclusion of that event.

(b) Video and/or audio of the event competition shall not exceed two minutes of continuous footage or four minutes in total length.

(c) Blogging is permitted but a continuous play-by-play description either verbal or in text format, is prohibited.

(d) The governing entity of the media organization shall accept complete responsibility for the contents that are posted on the entity’s internet site. It is the entity’s responsibility to adhere to accepted professional standards. Profanity, racial or sexist comments will not be tolerated.

4. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I've always wondered if public institutions (which would include pretty much every Div. 1 - FBS, whatever - football team) can limit access. I know they are trying, just not sure what would happen if there's any legal precedent either way. I've never encountered a problem with live blogging (yet), which includes bowl games.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

But what do you tell a blogger who wants to do the same thing?

6. lantaur

Go for it. But don't just do straight play-by-play. You're at the game, you can see the sidelines, the fans, the stupid things they during timeouts on the scoreboard ... involve readers, if possible. You can go to nearly any major website and play-by-play anyway.

7. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

In my opinion, live blogs are an utter waste of time and effort. A newspaper employee, as scarce as those are anymore, should be spending his time coming up with something insightful or reporting useful facts.

Think of how much more useful and informative that stuff would be if, instead of grinding away on play-by-play, the guy spent a couple minutes talking to an administrator or a bowl rep who's in the box that day, or even scanning the sidelines to see who's dressed out and who didn't make the travel roster. Or working on writing a decent sidebar, rather than the typical quote-transition-quote shit.

Unless the blogger is legitimately and extremely funny, I don't see the value.

8. lantaur

Who says the live blogger has to be the main beat guy? Or even a "newspaper" guy? Geez, think beyond your limited realm.

Heck, even under your criteria, even a limited, no-scales live blog done by a "beat" or "newspaper" guy becomes THE place to go for fans of the team during a game to "converse."

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

If the game's on TV or the radio somewhere, nobody in their right mind is going to read a live blog of the same thing.

10. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

The running threads we have here during games are, essentially, live blogs. And they're entertaining as hell.

11. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Our paper does live blogging for every game the local SEC school plays. Obviously, the number of people participating goes up if the game is on the road, but we've noticed that a lot of people like to watch the game and have their laptop on, participating in the blog. It is kind of like a virtual sports bar to them. They aren't there to find out what is happening, more to talk about what is happening.

12. lantaur

Sorry, quite wrong. At my place live blogs are very, very successful. Like I said, some people come on just to talk about the game; also you'd be surprised at how many people don't get the game (out of the country, don't get that cable station).

Draft saved Draft deleted