1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Little Miss Sunshine

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Sly

Sly Active Member

One of the funniest parts of the movie was that it made you feel more uncomfortable watching the regular talent show participants do their routines than when the little girl got up and did hers.

Certainly speaks volume about the overall creepiness of pre-adolescent beauty pageants.

"AMERICA! It's so beautiful!"

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Snakes on a Plane and Little Miss Sunshine come out at a time when there's airplane terror threats again and the JonBenet case gets new life. I realize LMS was at Sundance/Cannes before the JonBenet stuff re-emerged, but yeah, it was scary to see the other beauty pagent participants ...

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

http://news.aol.com/entertainment/movies/articles/_a/emilio-estevezs-bobby-wows-venice/20060905102809990001?cid=918

Bobby buzz.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I saw LMS last night. It wore its quirkiness on its sleeve, but it overcame that. The beauty pageant was squirm-in-your-seat creepy, and central casting had to have sent the "guy who looked most like a pedophile" to that movie to play the pageant MC. The ending was very fitting, I thought. It was my favorite type of comedy: Laughs, depth and heart, kinda like Sideways.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

The little-girl beauty pageant stuff harkened me back to an HBO documentary of a couple of years ago about this phenomenon. It's really wild, wilder than even this movie shows. There are people who make huge money as "consultants" for these things, making 5-year-old girls into beauty queens.

6. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

i don't particularly care for movies, but i enjoyed this one. i really enjoyed the role the mute boy played. he won't win any awards, but he did a nice job. lots of good dialogue, especially in the van on the way to the pageant.

and not only did the pageant MC look like a grade-a perve, he looked a little like that john mark carr dude.

i like the ending, too - nice commentary about those kind of pageants.

7. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Did anyone else figure out what the pageant routine was going to be earlier in the movie?

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

No, I saw no clue.

9. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I had an inkling when they were in the hotel room and she was doing the tiger growl, but it still hit me like a truck at the end. Outstanding.

10. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I enjoyed this one a lot. End scene was kinda uncomfortable but also redemptive. I mean, why not? The whole thing is such a farce. I thought it was funny how Miss California laughed and smiled at everything -- did she really get that the pageant scene was a joke and that the kid's routine was funny for that reason, or was her characted just supposed to be that vapid? I like movies that allow to get multiple reads on a character -- makes things more interesting.

I thought the characters seemed pretty human...well-acted and not over-written.

11. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

I saw it last night. I liked it. A lot. Had a very indie movie feel to it (which is fine by me).

But it wasn't the funniest movie I've ever seen, nor is it the funniest movie I've seen in a long time.

That said, I'd still tell anyone to go watch it. I thought the ending was great. Loved the dance seen her
    grandpa worked on. Tremendous.

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Finally saw this film.

Steve Carell is incredible in this film. The gulf between Brick Tamblyn and this part... wow. It's perhaps akin to Sean Penn as Jeff Spicoli and Matthew Poncelet.

If I were to throw out a handful of nominations for Best Picture Oscar:
    The Departed
    United 93
    Little Miss Sunshine

Bobby is getting ungodly buzz. That may be a fourth.

I haven't seen Flags of our Fathers, but the Academy sprouts real wood for Eastwood.

Draft saved Draft deleted