1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Little Miss Sunshine

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Aug 21, 2006.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Just saw it last night with the missus and one of the funniest movies in the past five years. Side splitting, crying laughing.

Alan Arkin is wonderful, as is Steve Carrell. The screenplay is revealing yet tough too. Hope it prompts more comedies like it.

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Alan Arkin.... love that guy.

"Serpentine, Shelly!"

3. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

I saw this the other night. Great movie.

4. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

I enjpoyed this movie very much.

Life is filled with watershed moments and how you handle those will help shape and define who you are. The main characters in LMS each had to overcome a huge disappointment on their journey through this movie. We're shown that no matter what happens, if you surround yourself with people who care about you, desire positive things for you, then you will be a better person because of it -- even in the most dire situations.

This film also reminded me of another phenomenon that is ruining movies today: the trailer. One of the huge reasons I enjoyed LMS was the film's trailers gave away nothing past the first 15-20 minutes of the movie. At not point was an scene undercut by one I knew was coming. A very subtle, but crucial thing.

Go see LMS. It's a film that just tries to tell a nice story, doesn't overextend itself and gives you a few belly laughs along the way.

5. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I'm pretty psyched to see this.

LMS and Idlewild are on my list.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I saw it tonight. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't quite what I expected, either.

7. Jeff Gluck

Jeff Gluck Member

This is the funniest comedy I've seen in quite some time. Both my friend and I gave it 9 out of 10...I highly recommend it.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I can't see this being disappointing to anyone. The first movie I've seen in quite a while in which I actually lost myself, forgot I was in a theater.

"So, where IS your grandpa?"

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Saw it Friday night and liked it. The story is sweet and funny and insightful.

One scene made me teary because it was so damn poignant. I won't give away anything major, but it's the part when little sister puts her arm around older brother after older brother's emotional breakdown. It took everything I had not to cry harder, but goddamn that scene was well-done. A bunch of girls around me started crying.

Notice the arrangement at the family dinner table, with a gay man who doesn't want to live sitting next to a geeky kid who doesn't want to talk sitting next to a failing father who doesn't see the touch of gray (you're either a winner or you're a loser) sitting next to his father who doesn't have the willpower to quick snorting drugs.

It's definitely worth the money.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I want this movie to win an Oscar. Seriously.

I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Saw it last night. I liked it.
    If I was reviewing, I'd give it 2 1/2 out of four stars.

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I don't know what to make of the post.

2 1/2 stars usually is a pretty sucky movie.

Draft saved Draft deleted