1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Little League World Series insights

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by flexmaster33, Aug 12, 2012.

1. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

What fun this has been...just starting me second day over here. I've done radio, Facebook, Twitter, blogging along with my regular print and website duties with the paper back home. Our numbers are off the charts. I think we had 7 Little League stories in today's edition alone.

Covering 12-year-olds at the World Series definitely is not beneath me. What a great experience.

2. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

Glad to hear you're having a good time. Sounds like you're making the most of it. Keep it up, and best of luck to you.

3. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Well, at least you're having fun while you flush that college degree down the toilet. :)

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Did flex have to shell out for the trip up front? That's a lot of scratch to travel out to Pennsyltucky on short notice.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Was that supposed to be in Gaelic?

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

You cannot be this dense. You would quit for being asked to cover the LLWS? Cripes. I would love to do that. Seems like it would be a lot of fun. Would I rather cover the World Series? Probably.
    As for all this other drivel, you have no clue whatsoever. Most papers don't cover cheerleading or freshman/JV teams because very few readers actually give a shit. What the publishing of rape victims' names would accomplish and what it has to do with this thread, I have no idea. Are the readers really clamoring to know the names of rape victims? You seem a bit unhinged.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The Oregon heroes are out. Still, hope it was a good experience for you Flex.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Enjoy the weather. It might dip into the high 40s tonight in some spots.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'm really, really happy that most of you get it that this is a great event.

I spent 10 hours there Thursday, not because I was working, but because I enjoy the hell out of it (should have had Beauge point you out to me, RHCP). It was the sixth or seventh time I've gone over the years, and every time has been uplifting, intriguing and exciting. If anyone there is nasty in real life, they put it away when they walk into the Little League complex. Everybody is nice there.

I doubt that anyone who actually goes there walks away with any negative feelings about it.

PE ... you seriously lack understanding on this.

10. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Yes, it's been a great experience...people are great, the event is probably the smoothest I've ever encountered, especially considering the scope of it.

And yes, I don't see my downtown closing off streets to host block parties for cheerleaders and jayvee teams, but that's what happened numerous days in support of this Little League team.

11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Aren't you glad you lowered yourself to cover it?

12. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

I heard an interesting piece on NPR today about the first Little League team from Africa ever to compete in it.

http://hereandnow.wbur.org/2012/08/23/little-league-world

The sentiment that Little League in general should not have dedicated daily coverage has a point, but the LLWS is kind of beyond that, and there are some pretty cool features being mined from it.

Draft saved Draft deleted