1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Little League Parents: Would I Prefer Them to This?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by doctorquant, May 12, 2011.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Been many a year since I dealt with LLPs (Little League Parents or their kin). Now I am grading finals in my two courses (one undergrad, one grad). My undergrads took their final this morning, and I've already had two drop-ins. I'm trying to decide whether the "Please doctorquant, I know I failed both the other exams, and I probably only got a 50 on this one, but I am graduating this weekend and ..." pleas are more annoying than the LLPs y'all suffer through.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Well, they're more annoying in the sense that at the age you're dealing with, people are realizing they really do have their future on the line.

For one year, I taught as an adjunct, and I had one goof-off who barely showed up for class (at this school, showing up was part of your grade), much less turned in assignments. When I gave him his mid-term grade, he angrily said if he didn't get a certain grade, his dad would stop paying for college, and then made a veiled threat that something would happen to me as a result. I went to the department head, who showed me this guy's transcript -- like D-Day, this guy had no grade point average.

The department head suggested I make a deal with the student to have him turn in all his work by a certain date, and then maybe he had a shot. Of course, the deadline was near-impossible, and he didn't meet it. And he threatened me again. It was the one day I wish I had security walking me out -- I really wasn't sure if this guy was going to meet me, if you will, when I came out of the building. Fortunately, nothing happened, my adjunct period was over, and I haven't been on the campus since.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

False argument. They're the same parents, 10 years down the road.

EDIT: I misread your post. Honestly I'm surprised that it was the kids themselves and not the parents who were coming to beg for the grades. It could even be somewhat refreshing that they're dealing with their own situation, which probably isn't the case all around campus.

So, basically, anything where you're not dealing with parents beats anything where you are.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You really ARE going to cost them their scholarships.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

TSP goes yard!

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

If these chuckle-heads have scholarships, that's the real tragedy in this saga!

Draft saved Draft deleted