1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Little League Dilemma

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HeinekenMan, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I have a similar question. I know if it's Little League you're screwed, because it's all based on location, but maybe there's a Pony League or independent league or something in your area. You're getting sucked into way too much drama.

Also, and this sounds cruel, but it's not your job to save this Little League and its dysfunctional board -- and it's dysfunctional because they are allowing this drama to go on.

If you have no other options, and you really feel strongly about being involved at a board level in your kid's sports, I would recommend breaking off and forming your own league. You might talk to your local park district, or talk to Pony or Ripken baseball, or i9 Sports, the latter of which is a franchise system. You might be pleasantly surprised at how many other kids follow you to your new league.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The peripheral woman with the oxy cartel aside - I wouldn't worry much about someone having a pot charge.
    Intent to distribute does not mean she's selling to kids. It also doesn't necessarily mean she sells it at all. Many places have laws that trigger above a certain amount as "intent to distribute." Pot should be legal anyway.

The fact that she's crazy and a bad board member is a whole 'nother issue.
    If you get involved in youth sports politics, you'll meet a lot people like that.
    If you go into this because you want to contribute in the best interest of the kids, you'll get chewed up and spit out. You'll be exhausted by the pettiness and outright insanity in no time.
    If you get into it because being on the board makes you feel important, you'll do well.

3. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

maybe the league should have a "if you've been arrested, you can't be on the board" amendment in the league's by-laws.
    or, maybe the league has a built-in fundraiser at its disposal -- selling oxy and weed.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I spent too many hours in my early 20s covering youth sports, getting standings and stats for weekly roundups, doing features.
    Ugh, weed can be a real boon under those cirucmstances.

5. beanpole

beanpole Member

If you want on the board, there's nothing wrong with asking for support or even saying that you are committed to keeping drugs out of the league.

But don't start slinging mud at the woman, no matter what she's done.

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I'm actually a bit surprised this isn't already in there. The district I subbed for, I really doubt they would have hired me if I had a plea for pot, yet apparently I could be in close contact with kids on this Little League board. Awesome! Little League is a private organization, so can't they willingly exclude people with criminal records and what not?

7. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Take a step back and let this woman run herself into the ground. You may even have to step away from the league, but you do not want to tangle with someone who is involved with drugs in any way, shape or form. That type of trash always knows someone who can do some real damage. Do not distribute the letter.

If you suspect that there is anything going on at your games, have the local 5-0 stop by for a few minutes. The local precincts usually sponsor a few teams and I'm sure with all the arrests they might not mind making their presence felt. Unless you live in a huge metropolis, it may be a good community outreach move to scare some crackheads away from the park.

Draft saved Draft deleted