1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Little League batter accidentally pummeled in on-deck circle

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I covered this kid last week in the Vermont state tournament. As the starting pitcher, he lasted only 8 batters against the local team. As the 1st baseman, though, he made a nice stretch to make this out, after the 2nd baseman made a memory-of-a-lifetime diving snag of a hard grounder then threw the batter out from his knees.

The local coach e-mailed me the story (from the Burlington Free-Press; good paper).

BRISTOL, Conn. -- Essex Junction Little League pitcher Joel Picard sustained extensive injuries when struck by a teammate's bat during his team's 7-6 loss to Portland, Maine, in the New England Regional on Sunday.

"He's in a hospital in Hartford and he's going to be okay," said team manager Gary Jurkiewicz. "I talked to his dad and he said (Joel) will be all right."

According to Jurkiewicz, Picard suffered a broken nose, a broken collarbone and several facial fractures in the incident, which happened in the third inning. As the on-deck batter, Picard was retrieving a bat when a teammate scheduled to bat took a practice swing and inadvertently struck Picard.

Picard received emergency treatment at the field and was transported to Hartford.

The injury occurred after Picard, the starting pitcher for Essex Junction, had thrown two strong innings, yielding only one hit.

Essex Junction had a 6-0 lead through the top of the fourth inning but three Vermont relievers couldn't hold the advantage. Maine pushed across three runs in the fourth, then snatched the victory with a four-run sixth inning.

Caleb Fraser drove in the final Portland run, capping the come-from-behind rally.

Essex Junction moved to a 2-0 lead in the first as Steve Jurkiewicz doubled in a run and Frank Puleo followed with an RBI single.

In a three-run third inning, Jurkiewicz blasted a two-run homer and Zach Higgins later singled in a run. Jurkiewicz finished off the scoring for Essex Junction with an RBI single in the fourth.

Jurkiewicz finished at 3-for-4 with two runs and the four RBIs. Puleo had two hits and Sean Raymond and Mike Lynch added hits.

Jordie Rowell took the loss for Essex Junction.

Mitchell Powers, who picked up the win in relief, was 3-for-3 with an RBI for Portland.

Vermont faces Walpole, Mass., in a 2 p.m. game today. Essex Junction finishes pool play Wednesday against Cranston, R.I.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Re: Little League batter pummeled in on-deck circle

Wow, hope the kid's OK.

And I feel bad for the kid who hit him, too. Must be a sickening thing to feel your bat connecting with your teammate's face.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Wish there had been more of an explanation of what happened. Did the kid get too close to the other guy doing practice swings? Did he drift backward for some reason, was he heading back to the bench for last-minute instructions and get in the way?

4. Songbird

BTW, the other kid in the photo is, indeed, a lefty shortstop (Jurkiewicz). He's the basher on the team and a flamethrower on the mound (but erratic).

Hey, bucky, has there ever been a lefty shortstop in MLB? Think there ever will be? Or is it too radical an idea?

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

awfully deceiving thread title. doesn't "pummeled" mean purposely attacked? this was an awful accident. :eek: :eek: :eek:

6. Songbird

You have a valid point. I'll change the header.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Bill Hulen of the 1896 Phillies was the last left-handed thrower to play SS in the majors for more than an inning or so at a time.

8. Songbird

Now that is Starman quality.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Where did you find that?

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I remember reading that in a book in Borders. Can't remember the name of it, but it was a team-by-team history of the major leagues. Weird thing is, that 1896 Phillies team also had a left-handed catcher.
    No wonder it took them 97 years to win a World Series ;D

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

My kid got a ball in the face back during a LL pre-game warmup a few year's back.
    Knocked him right out but nothing broken.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I was talking to a coach during pregame and got hit with a baseball about a inch and a half left of my jewels. I did a Homer woo-hoo.

Draft saved Draft deleted