1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Little Boy makes a lot of noise and changes our society

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

America Needs You, Harry Truman,
    Harry Won't You Please Come Home?

He did the right thing. It's easy to second-guess, but he did the right thing. Can't go back and change it.

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Self explanatory, if not an actual English sentence.

3. boots

boots New Member

Read the post, slowly if necessary, to get the full meaning.

4. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

As awful as it was, it's quite likely that bomb also saved a few million lives. Japan was beaten, but it was not surrendering, despite the awful firebombings of its mainland, and only the bomb convinced the Empire to surrender. That prevented more firebombings on the one hand, and a bloody, brutal invasion of the Japanese mainland on the other.
    Did the bomb kill those people, or did WWII?

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Stay on topic and stop making sense.

6. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Boots, that statement is far from self-explanatory. What the hell does "put a bought the second world" mean? Try making sense the first time you write something.

7. boots

boots New Member

I've heard that "justification" all of my life and now that I'm older, I'm not buying it. The Japanese was contemplating surrender. Russia had just declared war on the Empire and they were pretty much a little island fighting everyone. It wasn't going to work.
    I believe the United States wanted to make Japan pay for bombing Pearl Harbor and the two atomic blasts did that. However, we weren't bright enought to forsee that by building up the Japan economy, we were letting the U.S. economy suffer.

8. boots

boots New Member

Countries that were considered third world have bought the second world, and have put a firm down payment on the first, thanks to their nuclear knowledge.

9. IU90

IU90 Member

Sorry, but that still makes no sense to me at all.

10. boots

boots New Member

Then you just don't get it.
    In other words, the meek have inherited the earth so to speak.

11. statrat

statrat Member

We nuked Japan so we could get there before the Russians did. Considering the Russians already had the Eastern bloc sewn up, the loss of Japan to the soviets would have been disastrous for U.S foreign and military policy at the time, it also saved U.S troops from having to invade before the Russians did. As far as punishing Japan for Pearl Harbor, I'm pretty sure firebombing its major cities, decimating the nation's navy after Midway, blockading its ports with submarines and rolling the empire of the rising sun back across the Pacific could be considered pretty thorough punishment.

12. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

What would have happened had we not only not dropped the bomb, but never perfected it during the war ...

We invade and eventually take Japan.

Russia rolls up all the Japanese holdings on the continent.

The Cold War still starts but we're without our initial ace in the hole.

The Korean War obviously doesn't happen.

With a longer World War 2, jets probably become much more integrated much earlier, at least for the US.

Is there a land war in Europe, and does that push the development of the weapons and finally introduces the bombs? With a war already raging does anyone hesitate to use it on larger scale and in Europe?

A war in Japan, or maybe the South Pacific? Though that seems unlikely considering our diminished but still superior carrier force ...

Maybe those are all stupid, but I hadn't ever considered what might have happened had they not be dropped beyond the invasion of Japan. It could have had very big consequences.

Draft saved Draft deleted