1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

List of gay marriage states may include...Iowa?!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deskslave, Aug 30, 2007.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

So the will of the majority should outweigh civil rights?

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Some Iowans want it. Obviously, not everyone felt the same way about the law.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I don't know where you saw backhanded compliments, Lyman.

Iowa is a nice place to live.
    Iowa City has generally been proclaimed a great area on this board.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I have no beef with Iowa. It's a little dead outside its major towns and cities, and the drive across I-80 can be incredibly boring, but who cares?

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

The AP wire said it was the County Attorney who asked Hanson for a stay so that the State Supreme Court would review it.

John Sarcone, you are the laziest fucking County Attorney in Polk County history.

Back to the liberal streak, it's more of a progressive streak that Iowa (than a Dem/GOP political angle) has had since Bob Ray was governor (a progressive Republican) to get up to speed with the times. The shift is with the cities and the rural/small towns. The cities are democratic, and a 50/50 spilt in the rural areas except western Iowa who haven't met a Democrat they didn't liked well enough.

Overall, if the ISC (IA Sup. Crt.) upholds Hanson's ruling, the nutcases will be hollering, but the majority of will say "I'm happy or not crazy about it, but I can deal with it."

7. I certainly can't argue with that.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You could, but you'd have to get out your Polk County Attorney shotglass set.

Which has never, to my knowledge, been used to serve Bushmill's.

9. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Fen, the sumbitch will rather let a grand jury deal with a murder case before he'll touch it. The County Attorneys (the Iowa version of a D.A.) in the rural counties handle more work than he does, and he's in the largest county in the state, population-wise. It's customary for him not to even dip his hands into something like this, including murder cases.

He has no credible reason or case to ask for an injunction. I guess the southside political machine, made up of mostly Italian-Americans, told him to make an ill-advised power play. The guy's a douche in my book. He has done effectively nothing in office.

[​IMG]

No, we don't have Bushmill, but we're finally getting some fucking Fat Tire beer. Thank goodness!!!!!

10. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

11. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Obviously I take this as a good sign, but before people go pronouncing this as a sign that gays will be allowed to marry everywhere, there are some significant hurdles that need to be cleared. Many states passed constitutional amendments, which require a 2/3 supermajority vote to overturn. So sadly, my home state won't be allowing it any time soon. I am waiting to see some of the DOMA bullshit get challenged nationally, though.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

a lotta people fear what they don't know, diab ... which, i think they believe, gives them the right to act as though we still live in the dark ages, or the 1950s, anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted