1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

List of Costs under Bush/McCain

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Mar 17, 2008.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Better late than never. And with that last response, you graduate from Neocon U. with a major in Starve the Beast and a minor in Condescension to the Rabble.

2. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

Maybe it's condescension to you, but even in a recession, it ain't very hard to find work in this country. I've been down and out before too, and you do what you can to get through it. But it shouldn't be the government's job (or at least as little as possible) to offer handouts.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I love how "Tax Cuts" are on this list as if they are costing the government something.

My God you liberals need to get a clue.

And if you are unhappy with lower taxes I'm sure the IRS would be happy to collect extra contributions from you.

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I knew some people would have an issue with tax cuts being on the list. I'm not even sure it belongs.

Like John McCain, "I'm not an expert on Wall Street. I'm not an expert on some of this stuff."*

"I'm glad whenever they cut interest rates. I wish interest rates were zero."*

"Inflation-- if we could only get it under control!"*

"I I I don't have that kind of expertise to know if he has cut interest rates sufficient. ly. or not."*

"I still need to be educated."*

But I digress.

When taxes are collected in this country, it's unclear whose money it is. Your money? My money? The government's money? China's money?

The point is, with the proposed tax cuts and the costs of war, where do we get the money? The answer is what Michael Gee said, we simply go further into debt. Debt was more the point of the thread.

*actual McCain quotes

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

It's not as cut-and-dried as you claim, but there's a point to that.

Here's what it boils down to, though. For some people, national defense and cutting taxes are THE most important issues. For others, health care and a balanced budget are WAY more important.

It would be nice if we could find a candidate who'd do some real health care improvement (not reform), keep national defense strong, pull us out of Iraq, control spending, THEN look at ways to help us on taxes. But you typically can't promise one thing without letting up on another.

Think I'll go with the Democrat approach. Thank YOU!

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

For me it's gun control - the one nobody gives a shit about.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

There ya' go. And just because I didn't mention it doesn't mean it's not important. Hell, issues like abortion, religion and gay rights are VERY important to me, mainly because family members are touched almost daily by at least two of them.

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

They spent $30 billion of your money yesterday to save a single investment bank. From itself. That's 5% of the entire annual budget of the Department of Health and Human Services.

9. Yawn

Yawn New Member

You know Spirited, I started to simply post I agree with the taxation of those who live high, which include not just "rich fuck Republicans" but rich fuck liberals and all the rich fucks in between. But I read on, and see you people (you) have repeated the mantra that nothing in the Middle East we are involved in has anything to do with liberty so much that you have accepted it as fact. Nothing I say is going to change your belief, but you're full of shit on that thought, full of truth on the other.

And I agree with Obama's racism take as expressed here:
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080318/ap_on_el_pr/obama_race

and yes, I know there's another thread on that.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

I know we'll never agree, Yawn, but how exactly has anything we've done in the Middle East protected our freedoms and liberties?
    We have all but destroyed a country that posed no threat to our safety or security. We have killed or displaced hundreds of thousands of that country's citizens and we have killed about 4,000 American troops in the process.
    Why?

11. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Why don't you ask the Kurds, Spirited? Our intelligence may have been wrong, and if it was, it transcended one administration - and I still maintain had Clinton done what Clinton could have and that was nab bin Laden or answer swiftly for the USS Cole mishap, the Twin Towers would still be a fire-alarm hazard today that people bitched about after it was built, but nonetheless it would still be housing living, productive, out by 5 go home to families human beings.

And had we sealed the borders and kept the low-levels of Saddam's army intact, we'd been out of Iraq. The point is not that Iraq needed liberty, but the follow-up to the invasion has definitely had its flaws, serious flaws. But none of which should negate what good has come out of it - it's just that more good and more lives have been rubbed out because of the slapshod afterwork.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

I do not see what good has come out of it.

Draft saved Draft deleted