1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lisa Olson quits New York Daily News

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thirsty, Jan 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danews

danews New Member

Long time lurker here.
    Shockey couldn't be more wrong. Lisa was a jack of all trades, willing and able to weigh in on any subject and travel anywhere.
    Every person I know at the NYDN is sad to see Lisa leave. That includes Leon Carter. He is a good man and does his best under very trying conditions. If he has a fault, it's spending too much time being caught in the Lupicaization of the News. That's a 24-7 job, and the other employees suffer.

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I'm aware of that, DD. But I also think most of the bashing is coming from people who have never actually met the man. I suppose it's possible he's changed, but when I interacted with him regularly I never saw (or heard of) him being less than decent to anyone. If people want to cite specific incidents that they personally witnessed, OK, but to slime the man through generalities or though second- or third-hand information is just not very fair. As I say, I have no knowledge of Lisa's situation. I'm just saying that the Leon I knew was a good guy.

3. I don't understand all the speculation and empty blame. Perhaps she just wanted to work somewhere else?

4. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I could not have said it any better, cougargirl. I'll be excited to hear about Lisa's next venture.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

So . . .it's OK for people to bash Leon Carter and speculate that "the way he treats women!" is the reason for Lisa Olson's departure. (I honestly don't know about him either way).

But if a shockey says "hey, as long as we're bashing her soon-to-be former boss, I've heard this and this about Lisa, and can anyone verify the truth of all this?" He MUST hate women, and all women sports journalists?

That's an unfair extrapolation of ideas that have nothing to do with what he posted, especially since apparently not everyone sees Carter the same way. And not everyone sees well-respected writers like, say, Juliet Macur the same way.

Based on your message to shockey, should I ask, do you hate women sports journalists?

(though reading it now . . . maybe you're just being sarcastic? So much is lost in translation)

And what of your dismissal of Sam Borden?

Would it be fair to accuse you of hating Borden because of gender? Of course not. None of these questions are fair, obviously.

Not everyone will have the same opinion on writers, journalism, writing, coverage, social skills, etc. Everything I have heard about Lisa Olson is positive. Everything I have read from her is excellent. shockey heard differently, and posted an unpopular thought based on some opinions he has heard. Not everyone agrees with shockey's sources. People disagree about Leon Carter on this very thread.

Doesn't mean anything except the fact people have different experiences, and different sources. Of course, every job thread is chock-full of plenty of speculation and such. Write-brained had the best take on this thread. Sometimes people simply move on to other opportunities.

There is no need to speculate. Lisa Olson will have little trouble finding a gig worthy of her talent and experience.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Shockey's gone after Karen Crouse, as well, Piotr. This isn't an isolated incident with him.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Not being a fan of Karen Crouse is not "isolated" to shockey. If I'm not mistaken, a few people here are not fans of the way Crouse covers her beat. And a lot of us dislike Peter King - do we hate overweight people? Albom - people with large ears? Lupica - short people?

I don't think I'm revealing aything when I say that shockey's posts indicate he works in or around the NY market, or at least has knowledge of it. He's allowed to have a take on the many journalists who work in that area. Does he bash every single female journalist mentioned here? Has he praised some?

When discussing Leon Carter's possible role, should we dismiss the opinons of people who do not work around the NY market, as anything they know might be labeled as hearsay? Of course not.

(It needs to be noted here that shockey was asking a question based on someone else's opinion. The sensitive will accuse him of using that message structure as a proxy, but I don't buy it).

It's unfair to be dismissive of someone's opinion, to pin it on anything other than their views of a person's work, and what they ahve heard from trusted sources. We should all be able to express an opinion on a certain journalist (or two) without being accused of disliking them due to race, or gender, or height, or ear size, or weight.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Yea, I think a lot of people dislike overweight people. Look at all the Charlie Weis jokes. It's an easy thing to mock.

Generally when somebody asks a loaded question like Shockey does, he/she is doing exactly what you claim the "sensitive" will accuse him/her of doing, message structure as proxy.

Nothing wrong with expressing an opinion of someone's work, but when you make a habit of criticizing women, well, I think you open yourself up to accusations of disliking them due to their sex.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

DD gets it -- as usual.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I apologize for posting that link from wikipedia, apparently it was made up. I guess that's why you don't trust wikipedia.

11. danews

danews New Member

Not many columnists run quotes for sidebar reporters or help edit an intern's story before they send it. Lisa did that.
    Word is, she gave Leon Carter her reasons for resigning and said there was nothing he could do to change her mind. I heard he tried.
    She doesn't have another job yet but it's only been a few days.
    It will be interesting to see what the News does with the position.

12. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I don't see the second sentence. I refreshed, used a Google search and your link ... nothing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.