1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lisa Olson quits New York Daily News

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thirsty, Jan 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Smart girl. 8)

I hope she ends up somewhere great--on this continent. No fair taking all that talent halfway across the world again.

Classy, elegant, and a tremendous role model for young women trying to get into this crazy business. A loss for the DN...a big loss.

ps, I am not Lisa Olson.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

She's a role model for the males in the biz, too. As I said before, a class act.

3. Mediator

Mediator Member

The Daily News should've done whatever it could to keep her.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

interesting that her biggest supporters, as far as i know, are not her former daily news colleagues. any of them out there? i've always heard that lisa wasn't a very hard worker and often resented for taking shortcuts. i'd be happy to hear otherwise.

to pin this all on leon carter seems unfair. i mean, he's been her boss for what, 8-10 years now? all of a sudden she got tired of him? seems strange.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Shockey, I respect you, but I totally disagree with this comment. Seeing what she's dealt with since entering this business, I think you're off-base.

6. thirsty

thirsty Member

shockey,
    I don't know you but based on your comments on this site, you seem to have lots of issues with women. Did one of them take your job?
    I've been in the business for 15 years, mostly covering events in the northeast. you might find one of her colleagues who's not unhappy she's leaving -- the golf writer, who's been known to say he thinks women should stick to covering women sports. Whatever. His opinion.
    Never mind what she went through before. Her work and her relationships with her colleagues in and out of the Daily News speak for itself.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

sorry to disappoint, friends. i am neither a women basher nor have i had any issues with lisa. but i also know several reporters at the daily news who aren't very big lisa olsen fans.

this is why i asked the question. simply trying to learn if my pals at the news represent the general feeling about her at the news. if there are any newsies out there, i'd love to have 'em weigh in.

8. thirsty

thirsty Member

Interesting. I've talked to four of the Daily News football writers who are in Phoenix today and every one is upset she's leaving. You must be talking to the aforementioned golf writer.
    I guess there could be people who resent her, just as there are people who resent Johnette Howard and Karen Crouse and Gwen Knapp and Selena Roberts and I could go on. They really should stick to covering women sports.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Shockey, my dear, stop while you're ahead.

I too have heard stories about the NYDN editor being difficult to work for if you are a woman, and I'm nowhere near the Northeast. If somebody makes life difficult for women in this biz, it tends to get around. There aren't many of us, and we talk, so to speak.

10. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Years ago, if there was any doubt that I wanted to get into this industry, reading about Lisa Olson standing up to the Patriots (and bringing locker-room issues to light) made me want to get into sports reporting. Here's to the best for Lisa, and thank you!

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I'm not qualified to comment on this issue, so I won't, but I'm always baffled when I read negative comments on this site about Leon Carter. It's been awhile, but the Leon that I knew some years back was a decent man and a very professional one.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I think the Lupica issue is the main reason, Frank. I don't know what's true and what's urban legend, but for years the rumor here was that Carter tried to get SportsJournalists.com shut down (at the behest of his lead columnist) because people were saying nasty things about Mike.

There is also an item from the NY Observer a few years ago that suggested Lupica got Mark Kreigel fired and that Carter and Mort Zuckerman just went along with it.

Aside from all that, though I have never met Lisa, I have long admired her work and will miss reading it. I would love to see her hired by my paper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.