1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lisa Olson quits New York Daily News

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thirsty, Jan 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thirsty

thirsty Member

Just heard this from the AWSM pipeline. Sherri Ross, the hockey columnist, quit the paper a few months ago. It's not the best of times for women at the News.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Wow. Any clue where she's heading?

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's too bad. She is consistenly excellent.

I hope there's a dot-com spot in her future.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Lisa is really good people.

She'll land on her feet. She's resilient, and she's bounced back before.

5. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Was there any reason offered for why she decided to quit?

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

According to an impeccable source, the NYDN's SE has long been a problem for his female staffers. Ross left a columnist gig to be the Devils' radio color commentator. Lisa, as Wick said, is very good people and she won't be out of work for long.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah but on the bright side if you're a height-challenged columnist who likes to mail it in from the couch and sit in the front row at the park--even if it means kicking out the beat writer who, you know, actually shows up 150 times a year--the NYDN is the perfect spot for you.

8. In Exile

In Exile Member

As budgets get tighter (and perhaps people leave the business) it seems to me that there is a detectable loss of women writers on the sports page industry-wide.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

I too had heard rumor of this happening after Sherry Ross left. Apparently it is difficult to work for Leon Carter if you are a female.

I've never been a big fan of the NYDN section but it just got noticably worse... as it also did when TJ Quinn took the ESPN bucks.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

11. Jones

Jones Active Member

Lisa's awesome. I like her a whole lot -- she's a terrific writer and person, and I hope she finds a happy spot somewhere.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Let us not forget the squeaky voice...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.