1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lions trade Dre Bly to Broncos for Tatum Bell, et al.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NDub, Mar 1, 2007.

1. somewriter

somewriter Member

So the Broncos unloaded two guys they didn't want for somebody who will wind up as one of the better No. 2 CBs in the league? Good move for them and they'll find a RB somewhere. Never really seemed to bother them before. Kevin Jones might miss most of the season to injury - but Tatum probably will get hurt next week too.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Only thing is that Kevin Jones is likely to miss most of the season next year.

That leaves the Lions with Arlen Harris or Aveion Cason at RB. They also have Shawn Bryson and Brian Calhoun coming off injuries too.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I forgot Jones was hurt... Man are the Lions fucked...

4. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I didn't know Bly was worth so much.

5. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Broncos are going to be a big story this next season ... and I'm in no way a Broncos fan.

6. melock

melock Well-Known Member

I keep hearing that Jones says he'll be fine for the season. Then I read that some think he might not play until '08. Which is it? And all I remember about Foster is him cutting that guy from the Bengals (whose name is escaping me) and breaking his leg and tearing just about every ligament a man can have in his knee. I forgot about Backus though. Didn't they just sign him long-term? All I know is Millen is about as good a GM as Ed Wade was.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Jones' injury is a Lisfranc injury (not sure on spelling,but that's fairly close, I think). It's a fairly complicated ankle injury.

Teddy Lehman had a similar injury and he missed an entire season and then some. Jones got hurt in late November so you figure he'll miss at least 7-8 games or more.

I've seen no outlooks that say Jones will be ready for the start of the season.

Oh and yes, Backus had the franchise tag last year and ended up with a four-year deal.

8. melock

melock Well-Known Member

How bad of a Lisfranc injury did he have? As an Eagles fan I know all too well about them with Duce Staley being the first skill position player ever believed to return to form from one. Dawkins had one too in the first game of '03 and missed half the season. Westbrook had one against at the end of '05, but returned fine this season. That's why I'm asking the severity of Jones' injury. Too bad if it affects him long term. I covered him at Tech and he was outstanding.

So if Backus got a four-year deal is it a given they'll draft Thomas then? Would it really be crazy if they drafted Johnson? Think about it. It kind of makes sense in a Matt Millen type of way.

9. NDub

NDub Guest

I don't see the Lions staying at the No. 2 spot unless it's a guarantee JaMarcus Russell will be available. That will only happen if Randy Moss is traded and Oakland desires a playmaking receiver, ala Calvin Johnson. But it's unlikely Russell will not be selected No. 1.

And I don't think the Lions need Joe Thomas now. Backus is inked long-term and Foster will likely start at RT (why else would they trade for a guy who's started 45 of 48 career games since 2003?) Talking to Marinelli last week at the Combine, he told me switching from LT to RT (which Backus would likely have to do if Thomas is taken) is like "having to pitch with the other hand." He added Backus has played LT his whole career and it would be very tough to adjust.

I'm thinking Detroit will trade down, maybe in the 7-10 area and take QB Brady Quinn or DE Gaines Adams. Both are needs with the latter being the more pressing.

However, if the Lions don't land a No. 1 corner in free agency or via trade, they may trade to the 12-15 area and select Michigan's Leon Hall, who has separated himself from the rest of the class.

Crazy stuff. But this is another reason why I love the NFL.

10. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

The thing that's amazing about the Lions is that after all these losing seasons, the fans still come out to watch games.

11. melock

melock Well-Known Member

I like your rationale NDub. You make some very valid points. That's why I've been so confused over this Thomas to the Lions talk. They have Backus and just traded for Foster so unless something else is in the works Thomas doesn't make sense. Then again drafting a player that doesn't make sense has never stopped Matt Millen before.

12. Hank_Scorpio

If the Lions are thinking about a QB in this draft, they may wait til the second round and take Drew Stanton, who had a pretty good combine.

Lions could still trade down and take a DE or CB and then Stanton in the second.

Or they could go for the best player in the draft and take Calvin Johnson. Martz could be drooling to have Johnson, Roy Williams and Kevin Curtis catching passes.

Draft saved Draft deleted