1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lions trade Dre Bly to Broncos for Tatum Bell, et al.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NDub, Mar 1, 2007.

1. NDub

NDub Guest

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2784408

As a Lions fan, this makes me happy. It address two key needs. With Kevin Jones' foot injury possibly sidelining him for half of next season, it gives Detroit a possible starter and definite change of pace guy. Also, no AD talk at No. 2 either.

Also, with all of the talk of Detroit taking Wisconsin LT with the No. 2 pick and setting up a problem with incumbent (and long-term inked) LT Jeff Backus if neither can/is moved to RT, it gives the Lions a true RT in George Foster, who didn't seem to fit the Denver scheme.

Bly was a great player, but didn't fit the Cover 2. He loves press coverage, not zone. Clearly, though, Detroit needs a No. 1 corner and the talk so far has been Falcons' youngster Deangelo Hall. We shall see about that.

This also means the Lions could trade the No. 2 pick. JaMarcus Russell is basically a shoo-in to go No. 1 to Oakland, leaving WR Calvin Johnson and possibly QB Brady Quinn for Detroit at No. 2. But the need for WR is not pressing and how much of an ass would Millen look like if he selected another WR in the top 10? Quinn isn't worth the No. 2 pick anyway. So Detroit may simply trade down and take a Quinn or DE like Gaines Adams in the 7-10 slots.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Bly and Bailey at corner for the Broncos next season. That's pretty good right there.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Since Millen is a goddamn incompetent imbecile, it goes without saying this trade will turn out to be a disaster. My guess is either or both of the players coming in has cancer.

Millen will fuck up the draft no matter what he does.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Not funny, Star. I get your point, but still ...

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I never thought I'd say this, but doesn't this make the Broncos a little thin at RB?

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

If ever there was a year to take a WR with a first pick, it could be this year with Calvin Johnson.

But there's also been some talk about Kevin Curtis reuniting with Martz, which would give the Lions Roy Williams, Furrey and Curtis

Of course with Millen running the draft, he'll probably take a fullback at No. 2.

7. skippy05

skippy05 Member

I have to agree with the Millen haters. If this were any other team, I would be confident about their chances. As it is, the Lions could be VERY stout next year. But with Millen in charge, anything could happen. For example: "With the number-two pick in the 2007 NFL draft, the Detroit Lions pick punter (insert name and college here)."

8. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

There's been a lot of talk that Denver will package some of its extra picks to try and get either another No. 1 or a higher No. 1 (if it includes its current No. 1 in a deal). The idea would be to get a kickass RB. Of course, that would still leave them light on the D-Line, so who knows.

/fanboy looser

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Very stout? Maybe for a Pop Warner league (and even that is questionable).

The Lions have a bunch of holes. They need to upgrade the offensive line, help at receiver, a good TE wouldn't hurt, a defensive end, a middle linebacker and a couple of corners. It wouldn't hurt trying to figure out what they want to do at the quarterback postion, long term.

And that's just the starters. They don't have a lot of quality depth either.

And this comes from a Lions fan.

10. skippy05

skippy05 Member

Let me rephrase: "The Lions have a lot of potential based on some of the talent they have and the talent they have the possibility of getting."

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

What's funny about this is I would think that with Kevin Jones, running back is one of the few positions where the Lions wouldn't need an immediate upgrade.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Super trade for the Broncos. Tatum never got the trust of the coaching staff that he could be the dominant back. He got dinged up too much. Bly next to Champ is fantastic.

Draft saved Draft deleted