1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Linked in

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BB Bobcat, Oct 10, 2008.

1. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

A friend of mine suggested I sign up for this in order to find a new job. I poked around a little and it just seemed to facebook-ish that I found it difficult to believe that anything actually productive could come out of it. Has anyone had any experience getting actual useful career help out of this?

2. Flash

Flash Guest

Actually, yes ... I joined LinkedIn following a conference about social media. I am now networking with fellow marketing professionals on how to incorporate social media into our marketing plan.

It is very Facebook-ish on the surface ... but it's more for networking on a professional level.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Facebook for grown-ups.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah. That's why I don't like it much.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Ha! I was going to say the same thing. Only people I know actually using it, instead of just signing up and forgetting about it, are people over 30. I signed up on a lark, added a couple friends, and saw a whole bunch of (sorry Moddy :D) old people from work on it. I don't think I've been back since.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

But *** but *** we're not connected!!
    I do have a bunch of connections, but no place to list what I'm reading.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I'm on it, but haven't really pushed it, other than to send the occasional invite. And there might be two people on here who would even know what name to search for me under.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Saban spawn?

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

10. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

recruiters use linked in . . . a lot.

11. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

For journalism jobs? Or is there even such a thing as a journalism recruiter? :)

12. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Ditto. Signed up, added a bunch of folks, but don't really see a point to it.
    Now, a bunch of advertising folks at my job have praised its use and have said they find it to be a valuable networking tool.

Draft saved Draft deleted