1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lindsey Graham: the ambiguously gay senator from South Carolina

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Mar 17, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Sort of surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet:

I can't find any other mainstream news mentions of this. I guess they don't know how to cover it.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"Good job, friend-of-friends!"

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I can't imagine why. This guy sounds like a totally credible candidate who would never, ever say something "outrageous" just to get attention.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

When calling a sitting senator "ambiguously gay" is the SECOND most outrageous thing you say, then yeah, you're reaching.

"Abortion holocaust" is my personal favorite.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

He's six years behind.

http://menwholooklikeoldlesbians.blogspot.com/2008_08_01_archive.html

7. YankeeFan

Sure, the candidate is minor, and the charge is "outrageous on some level. But, that doesn't make in unworthy of news coverage. He called the guy "unambiguously gay" in an open forum. Do you just not cover that?

And, this is usually the way the press does justify these kinds of questions. A Republican office holder, and gubernatorial candidate was asked point blank if he was gay in the last couple of weeks by reporters because the "question was out there".

The question has been out there for a while regarding Graham.

8. imjustagirl

No he didn't.

9. YankeeFan

Didn't what? Say it in an "open forum"?

It was in front of reporters, just prior to a press conference. That's about as open as you get.

10. imjustagirl

The story you quoted said he called him ambiguously gay.

Then you say he said unambiguously.

Those are not synonyms.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Wait, The Hill reported on something already reported by The State, so it got local coverage, as expected and then some national coverage off what the local paper did.

And a quick Google search says MSNBC, U.S. News and World Report, Daily Beast and many others reported on this. If I count the googlez right, it says a a total of 84 outlets.

So it appears it got plenty of coverage, both local and national.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The "question" has been out there AND addressed by Graham himself on more than one occasion. And, this is pussyfooting attention-whoring, not an accusation.

Call me when this dude has something to say about how he's be a better senator than Graham AND gets within 30 points of him in the primary.

Draft saved Draft deleted