1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lindsay Lohan + AA = no drinking problem

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Freelance Hack, Dec 1, 2006.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

Who's Anna Chlumsky?

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

My Girl

Settle for 8 seconds?

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Drew Barrymore is a far more apt comparrison, though even Barrymore didn't grow up in today's gossip-frenzy. At no point were either Gilbert or Chlumsky even half as famous as Lohan was/is. They may be better actresses, but they're not half as famous.

Barrymore survived. We'll see if Lohan does. Barrymore isn't/wasn't exactly the next Meryl Streep, and neither is Lindsay. If someone gets passed that torch, it's Kate Winslet.

As for young female actors who should probably be the model for the next generation, I'd say Natalie Portman and Reese Witherspoon did it right. They may not be Streep, Tomlin, or Keaton either, but at least they have some self respect and will still be getting scripts in fifteen years, which Lohan likely will not.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Yeah. D_B's link to Lohan's screen test red-lined my quiver-in-horror meter. Why does one even begin to look for something like that? I guess if you're into into film history or something ...

But I think the record shows that D_B is nowhere near the ballpark of Ebert, or shit, even James Lipton. He makes Pat O'Brien look erudite in comparison. D_B is probably in the Al Goldstein school of cinema analysis.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Well, when she was brought up, I was curious as to whether or not she'd been in anything lately so I looked her up on IMDb. Noticed her DOB and went back and edited my post. I didn't know it until then. Really.

Really, Fenian. I swear. Honest to God. On my mother's honor.

(Is that enough protesting?) ;)

6. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Scarlett Johansson and Keira Knightley can also be added to that mix. They're not in the tabloids constantly, and they appear in movies that adults don't feel sheepish about seeing. Plus they work with real directors and actors. Ms. Lohan has been appearing in too much junk aimed at 14 year olds, outside of her role in the movie that taught her the phrase "BE ADEQUITE"

7. I really hope Natalie Portman becomes my generation's Meryl Streep. I'd really like that. She's great, she's pretty and she's someone Mrs. Murci like equally.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I think Natalie Portman is gorgeous, and that's she's freaking adorable, but I'm wondering if she's just really good a playing the "Natalie Portman character." I need to see Closer, and maybe V for Vendetta, but I've had some debates with friends recently that have made me question whether or not she's even a very good actress. She's stone cold beautiful, and she's quite obviously super smart, but in "Garden State" she was essentially playing Marty from "Beautiful Girls" about eight years later. It was the same character. That's cool, maybe that's exactly what Zach Braff's fantasy was, a grown up Marty, (and believe me, he's not the only one to have those thoughts) but I'm not sure it speaks much to Portman's range.

At the very least, she's smart, and other than the disaster that was the Star Wars prequels ("Hold me like you did by the lake on Naboo!") she seems to choose her projects carefully.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Natalie Portman might be a bit too smart, talented and beautiful to be a very workable example of a role model for young actresses.

Bimbo's gotta eat, too.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Fixed

11. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Like mother, like daughter?
    http://www.nypost.com/seven/01122007/gossip/pagesix/table_manners_pagesix_.htm

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

This post is better off without pictures.

Draft saved Draft deleted