1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lindsay Davenport: Pregnant

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Idaho, Dec 13, 2006.

1. joe king

joe king Active Member

Good for her. Had a good career and always seemed pretty genuine.

But all this ``Lindsay is hot'' stuff? I just don't see it. To each his own, I guess.

2. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

I would give her more credit than that. I don't know if Davis was ever No. 1 in the world, but I'd put Lindsey closer to Nick Price than Davis.

3. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Davenport was always a solid player. If she was reaching the finals at tournaments, I'd side with her.

Congrats to her and her husband.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

He's a walking head injury. I don't think he's made sense yet.

I've always liked Lindsay. She seemed really classy, unlike that vile creature (Henin-Hardenne). That she didn't withdraw during the Wimbledon match after she hurt her back (bad enough that it kept her out of competition for a while IIRC) is a testament to her character (esp. now that the vile creature withdrew from the Aussie final).

5. standman

standman Member

One of the nicest people out there and about as classy as you can get.

I always liked her because she was the biggest girl out there and in many ways an underdog. While everybody was gawking at Anna and asking Venus and Serena about shopping trips, she just won quietly and went about her business. She prided herself on being normal (she actually graduated from a real high school) and constantly searched for normalcy in her life.

Davenport always appreciated the behind-the-scenes work that Chris and Martina did for the sport and one of the few current players who actually gave a damn about what happened to the sport long term and not the endorsement money. Most of the players out there are selfish, outside the obligatory photo op.

The only thing I disliked about her game was her slumping shoulders when things weren't going well. I saw that look more often later in her career and she was probably wrestling with her life outside of tennis and her future.

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Within a year or two ago, I remember seeing an AP photo showing her watching a Florida Panthers-Anaheim (then Mighty) Ducks game. She might have been in the area for a tournament or had recently won an event and she was smiling and having a good time at the game.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I never knew you were distaff.

8. oldfart

oldfart Member

I heartily concur with all the nice things that are being said about Lindsay. I was there when she turned professional at Indian Wells, I've watched her grow as a player and a person, and have been constantly impressed with her intelligence and graciousness and competitiveness. Women's tennis and tennis in general will miss her (God knows it needs all the normal folks it can find to offset the divas and assholes), and so will those of us who write about the sport. Here's wishing for a smooth pregnancy, an easy delivery and the long, happy life she deserves.

9. The Commish

The Commish Guest

Or Jeff and Ffej.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

That's just the soy talking.

11. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

I think they were both injured at some point in that match, maybe nothing more than spasms and blisters but Lindsay was never the same and frankly neither was Venus, who, as far as I'm concerned, gave her retirement performance with those matches against Sharapova and Davenport.

But like you said it was the Wimbledon finals and neither of them were quitters....like Henin-Hardenne.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

She likes hockey? There's one more reason to like and respect her. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted