1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Limbaugh Would Like To Own St. L. Rams

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Jul 29, 2008.

1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

I'd like to say it will never happen and hopefully Georgia's family will keep it from happening. In any event, open for comments:

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/07/29/this-rush-limbaugh-buying-the-rams-talk-is-not-going-away/

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

The first comment on that story is fucking priceless.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Revoke his Terrible Towel!

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

He'll make 'em like George Marshall's Redskins . . . all white.

5. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I'm sure the obligatory drug and Limbaugh-is-a-racist comments are on the way (edit to note that Ben_Hecht posted before I could finish mine).

But from a business standpoint, this isn't a bad thing. There's fear in St. Louis that Georgia's kids are going to sell the team, or move it back to L.A. Stan Kroenke, the minority owner, can't buy the majority stake in the team because of his other sports ownership interests, if I have read the stories correctly.

Limbaugh's got the money and he'll keep the team in St. Louis. And considering how the absentee ownership in Georgia's final years have helped turn this franchise into a train wreck, I don't think it's such a bad move.

If he would come in and immediately clean house of the clowns in the front office (John Shaw, Jay Zygmunt) who should have been removed at the same time Mike Martz was kicked out, he will have already done the franchise a great service.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Needless to say, dumping Shaw would be simple addition-by-subtraction.

Still not looking for Donovan McNabb to come in as a free agent, anytime soon.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He'd be an improvement from Frontiere.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . as the bar gets set lower, and lower, and lower . . .

It would be entertaining, seeing the fat load stumble all over himself.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Eh. It's his money. I'm sure there are worse owners.

The only issue for him would be a possible blow to his ratings and fan base. If he is ever perceived to be holding St. Louis hostage for a new stadium or parking lot or something, people turn against fatcat owners pretty fast.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There are much worse owners. Tribune Company is one of them...

11. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Oh, forgot to add that the obligatory fat jokes would be coming as well... :)

I'm just saying, as someone who has been around this franchise (granted, on the periphery) since in came to St. Louis (covered them in training camp from 1996-2004 and covered a large majority of regular-season and playoff games since the team has been in STL), this team needs active ownership to put some quality people in the front office.

Plus, the franchise has a pretty good infrastructure in St. Louis. The Edward Jones Dome does need some improvements, but it's in a good area of downtown (ample parking, fairly easy access in and out). There's no need to build a new stadium.

As I said earlier, this isn't a bad thing.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Oh, it would be great entertainment, most certainly.

Draft saved Draft deleted