1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Limbaugh Boycott?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Azrael, Mar 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

At least I didn't get mega dildoes. And what you posit is certainly possible.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I thought it was funny that democrats went crying to Boehner to denounce Rush.

Rush is a genius. He realized that it was time to do something that would lift the base out of their lethargic state.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Andy Horowitz says it best:

"Being called a slut by Rush is like being called a slut by a drug-abusing, multi-married, old fat white guy."

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Interesting how fast Stern fell off the cultural map once he moved to satelite. I wonder if the same would be true of Limbaugh.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Down goes one advertiser:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/02/rush-limbaugh-sleep-train-sandra-fluke-slut_n_1315900.html

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

For every advertiser that would boycott Rush, there are six standing in line to take their place.

And I find it hilarious that the left is rallying around someone who pays $47,000 a year for Georgetown Law tuition and then claims she can't afford contraception devices.

http://www.law.georgetown.edu/finaff/studaccts/tuition.html

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That's a ridiculous argument, Tony. She is almost certainly going to school on student loans. And if Georgetown is like most other law schools, then those loans will be fully or partially forgiven if she goes into public interest law. And even if she goes the private firm route, just because she will be able to afford contraception in the future doesn't mean she can afford it now.

Plus, how do you know she doesn't have a sizable scholarship to Georgetown? How do you know she's paying sticker? Not that it's even relevant.

The right is always talking about how people need to take personal responsibility, that they need to pull themselves up by the bootstraps. That is what this young woman has done. She worked hard to get herself into one of the top law schools in the nation, in a city where she can make an impact. She is presumably going into some debt to do so because she sees it as an investment - but like all investments, it is a personal risk to some degree. Which the right encourages, no?

And you trash her for it.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

How do you know she's not on a scholarship, or paying for it through student loans?

EDIT: Dick beat me to it.

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I listened to some of the show today. He doubled down. Didn't say any new insults though.

The only way he ever gets canned is if he pulls an Imus as performed by Michael Richards.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He always leaves himself just enough wiggle room. Like this case. He has plausible deniability to say he didn't actually call her a "slut." He just said that "getting paid to have sex" is comparable to being a prostitute, i.e. a slut.

What a lot of men don't seem to understand: Women take birth control for many reasons, like regulating their menstrual cycles. There are health reasons aside from just contraception.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

The argument that she might have a scholarship only weakens the arguments supporting her. So she's getting a $47,000 gift and she's not using some of the savings for $100/year worth of condoms? Sorry if the needle on my sympathy meter doesn't move.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

He gets canned when the money stops, as do we all. That's why the current boycott is interesting. People have a threshold. And like everyone before him, Rush won't know he's crossed until he's crossed it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.