1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lil' Jeffy Wilpon to Mets fans: You and your memories mean nothing to me

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Oct 25, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I get that he wants his new home, and I do, too, although I'm going to miss Shea. I wish he'd lie to me just one more time.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

That's how they tore down the Orange Bowl.

The OB, which housed, legitimately, the most great, important football memories of ANY stadium, deserved spectacular implosion.

Instead, I got this piecemeal crapola.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Li'l Jeffy and his darling GM ought to go out and corral at least . . . say . . two players, with more than .375 of an ounce of guts.

Too much to ask?

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

5. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Please. This is a stretch even for you, BYH. Why is Wilpon an asshole for wanting to finish the demolition ASAP? There's been an entire season of farewells. They brought in the old players to countdown the final days. They had a nostalgic ceremony after the final game. They've said goodbye over and over and over again. How long is Wilpon supposed to weep?

6. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Let me, if I may, throw a little perspective on this since I drove from Hopatcong, N.J., to Shea Stadium about 100 or so times a year from 1979-1992. The place had deteriorated so much, it had to go. I don't understand completely what the complaint is, BYH. The opportunity for nostalgia has been offered, and accepted by some, rejected by others. What's the problem?

I was never close to Jeff Wilpon but knew his father well, and Fred cared a lot about his fans. Jeff is nothing more than an heir to whatever the throne is now. And I am told that he is a good businessman.

Bottom line? The place has had its run, let it die. As someone who spent more time there than I care to remember, I don't -- and won't -- miss it. Like most other ballparks this side of Boston and Chicago, Shea had to go. What else do you want? Jeff to shed tears about it? Why?

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Face it Met fans Jerry Grote is not coming back.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's OK, Boom. We've got Brian Schneider.

9. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I hope they bury the memories of the last two seasons (and '88) with that dump.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Has a new stadium ever been built with public funds without at least an implied threat to move?

11. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

My question is where does David Cone go now to masturbate?

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Laredo, of course.

Draft saved Draft deleted