1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Likely Getting Canned This Week - Keep Me In Your Thoughts!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by exmediahack, Jan 4, 2010.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Good for you... congrats...
    Tho I am curious... the Big Boss praised you for your attitude, but did BB comment on the 25-year-old putting the screws to you?

2. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I saw this one had been bumped and got a bad feeling, but what great news. Congrats dude.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I was among those hoping for some good news for a change. Good for you, Ex!

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Fucking awesome. Good for you, man. You deserve it. Hell we all deserved to read something like that.

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Thank you all for the well wishes!

Just slept 8 plus hours. Felt like I slept 15 years.

Although my legs feel like I ran 12 miles yesterday. Never realized how exhausting "dodging the coup de grace" could be.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Now take the wife out for dinner!

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Glad you're still working. That's the key, working. You're not letting your ego get in the way of putting food on the table is commendable. Good luck.

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

As somebody who has shot her fair share of video of things she didn't actually want to shoot... I get it! ;D ;D ;D

I'm so happy for you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Class rewarded, that's what this was. :)

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Ex, Congrats.

I have a question. Because of the way you were treated with the demotion and with the pay cut in the new deal, does it leave you feeling anything negative? You are relieved and it's great and I am sincerely happy for you. You sound like a class act. I am not sure I would have handled the demotion the way you did in the first place. I don't think I have the same responsibilities to think about that you did, and I don't think I make choices the same way (which is good and bad; some of my most impetuous, irresponsible decisions have served me best in the long run and some have been disastrous). It sounds like you were being mature and an adult and did what you had to do for you and your family. You sound solid. I don't think I would have been renewed if I was in your shoes--I probably wouldn't have still been there because my ego might not have been able to take it. My question is, knowing how things went down, will you be keeping your ear to the ground for other jobs now (I know jobs in the industry are being tossed around like manhole covers, but do you have any distaste in your mouth?), even though you gained some stability with the new deal?

As for the posts about not shaking that MEs hand who fired someone, maybe the ME didn't deserve the handshake. But I have had to fire three people and it isn't something I did gleefully or with any personal animosity. The first time I did it was one of the hardest things I have ever faced up to. He was young, got hired to do something he wasn't prepared to do (not by me) and his performance was killing a magazine. I had my choice of pawning the job off to someone higher on the food chain who had experience firing people, or doing it myself. I did it, because I was technically his boss and I had concurred with the feeling that he had to go. My stomach was in tatters and it was one of the shittiest-feeling things I have ever done. But I was honest, tried to be compassionate and I am sure we shook hands. He is younger than me and friends with a group of people in my old company, who I still stay in touch with. Since then, I have been out to drinks with him (and others) a bunch of times and I even had him and someone else I used to work with over to my place for drinks on my roof this past summer. I guess the point is that firing someone is nowhere near as bad as getting fired, obviously. But not everyone doing the hatchet job is necessarily a sadistic fuck who is enjoying it.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Glad to hear it ex, although to me, it seems ridiculous that your boss said they would have fired you if you didn't have such a great attitude about taking their crap.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

We don't do this nearly enough, these days.

Have a drink on me.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Have a drink on me.

Draft saved Draft deleted