1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Likely Getting Canned This Week - Keep Me In Your Thoughts!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by exmediahack, Jan 4, 2010.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Update: Still here.

Thoughts: Holy crap. I just may 'make it through' for awhile longer. We have so many different bosses right now that I don't think they know when my 'firing window' closes. I'm scheduled for things (and have volunteered for projects - and have been put on them) well into the spring...

Three more weeks...three more weeks...

</hangingonbarely>

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

One other thing to keep in mind...

An on-air friend of mine hit the end of his contract, and like you, he knew they weren't going to renew him. His salary was too high, and there was a new News Director who had never been impressed with his work.

The week his contract was up the ND set up an apointment to meet with him. My buddy called in sick. The ND kept calling, and he wouldn't answer the phone. Finally he was out on a shoot when the ND called him and ordered him to get his ass back to the station and into his office immediately.

The News Director wanted to sign him to a new 3 year deal.

You never know.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Why do you regret that you didn't shake his hand? I wouldn't have either.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Yeah. Let me first get what mother used to call a "nodule" from deep inside my right nostril and I'll be happy to shake.

5. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Only time I've left a guy's hand hanging is once when we ran into my wife's old boss at a wedding. He treated her pretty much like crap for the time she was there. I knew I'd have to meet him, so I just kept my drink in my right hand and nodded. I think he got the point.

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

You know, emh, good men are hard to find in local tv news these days... It's an industry that's become overrun with young attractive women. Maybe they do actually want to keep you ??

7. exmediahack

hey lugnuts...

maybe.

I better not *jinx* it anymore but, now I have a glimmer of hope in all this.

This is the professional equivalent of being down 35-7 at halftime, four months ago, and battling back to 38-28. I just need a couple more stops... the damn momentum is on my side. I've been kicking @$$ lately at work - far above and beyond - and everybody is noticing.

On a side note, I also promised my Mrs. Exmediahack that if I survived this, somehow/someway, I would not utter a single complaint for an entire year about my job. Not one. She dropped her fork on the kitchen floor in mild shock.

8. exmediahack

AN UPDATE...

Got called into "the office" today by the main boss. HR lady in the corner and I'm channeling my inspiration from "Up In The Air" on how to handle my firing.

Only...

Not fired.

Offered a new deal.

It's a cut in pay but not one that will alter our lifestyle, which I'm thankful for. Boss praised me for attitude displayed over these last few months -- it has been humiliating and demeaning at times (it hits you when you have to SHOOT VIDEO of the charity event the station had you emcee the year before...) -- and said, if not for my attitude, they would have just let me go...

Thank you all for your words of encouragement and advice over the past three weeks.

Now I can finally sleep a little...

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Fantastic news and congratulations.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Great news, xmh. Sleep well tonight. :)

11. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Awesome.

Never say never.

12. Football_Bat