1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Like newspapers, like soaps

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ScribePharisee, Apr 1, 2009.

1. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

I don't watch it personally, but when a 72-year show bites the dust, it's somewhat historical.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090401/ap_on_en_tv/tv_guiding_light

I can remember being at grandmom's and her watching this stuff. It predates TV.

2. Goddamn.
    That's a shock.
    My mother watched "As The World Turns," "Guiding Light," and "The Edge Of Night" every damn day while I was growing up.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

THEY HAVE RUN OUT OF TIME!

4. ScribePharisee

And you thought I was firing political crap.....fooled you, didn't I?

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Isn't DOOL ending soon too?

I used to love that show.

6. ScribePharisee

What exactly is going to "get" ratings at 2 p.m.?

TV people view this shit the same way newspapers do.

There's more media, more choices. This isn't NBC, ABC and CBS anymore. Cable cut into it and now, satellite and the Internet.

If continuing stories don't work, there sure are some surviving (not called soaps) on primetime. And "The Young and the Restless" has been solid for years at the top of the polls.

My grandmother is 98 and I just called her to see if she's heard. She never understood the comparative ratings on the show which have always been low, but there's a shitload of talent that was on that show at one point or another. Meg Ryan and Kevin Bacon way back when, to name a couple.

7. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Guiding Light is on at different hours of the day depending on the market.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

All political crap must take 10 unpaid furlough days sometime in the second quarter. Sign of the times.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Man did I love this show in college. Got hooked on it the summer before I went away and planned my schedule around it my first two years of school. You can imagine the shit I caught once the other folks on the newspaper figured out I was going back to my room everyday at 3 pm, not to class or something. (Guiding Light at 3, Animaniacs at 4, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers at 4:30 back to the office at 4:30...living the dream!)

Then the local affiliate moved it to 10 am and I still watched it, albeit on tape. Watched it deep into the 90s but eventually lost interest when they cloned Reva. Oh God. Here, just take my man card.

I can't believe the show lasted this long.

To piggyback on to what Scribe says, soaps are like newspapers in that they keep trying to alienate their dwindling audience by appealing to people who have no interest in and will never have any interest in their product. You are never getting young kids into the show...ever. So stop going apeshit casting young, vapid people and stop aging your children to make them young, vapid 20-somethings.

Soaps' best bet, beyond 60-somethings, is to ensnare some Generation X housewives. My sister has gotten into "As The World Turns" since she became a stay-at-home Mom.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I can tell you that in my market "Guiding Light" is on opposite "Days of our Lives", "General Hospital," "The Doctors" and some judge shows at 2pm.

The doctors and the judges kick the crap out of the soaps. Yesterday "GL" got a 1.0, "DOOL" got a 1.0, and "GH" got a .6. "The Doctors" got a 1.6, and "Judge Alex" got a 2.4.

Almost anything will get better numbers than the afternoon soaps, and will be cheaper to produce.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

GH is lower than GL in your market? Wow. I thought GH was one of the safest soaps...right there with the Y&R and B&B combo on CBS.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Hmmm...something I just pondered: Any chance this is an April Fools' prank to bring some attention to a show that hasn't gotten any press in decades?

Draft saved Draft deleted