1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Light the Hot Stove fires

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Angola!, Oct 29, 2006.

1. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Once I attempted to light the pilot light underneath the stove. At the previous apartment, it had been way in the back, so I assumed the same would be true of the next stove.

The horizontal bar in the center ignited as I had my entire arm underneath it. I lost only a good deal of arm hair, and I dropped the match on the floor, which burned a small hole in the carpet.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that with the luxury cap threshold going from $120 million to $148 million -- at least that's what Gammons reported -- that some players who looked pricey last offseason (B.J. Ryan, Johnny Damon) might look like bargains now to teams like the Red Sox.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

And that a lot of teams are going to overpay for mediocrity.

Oh what I wouldn't give to be Vicente Padilla (who actually puts up pretty good numbers in hitter havens, but has the rep of a guy who will coast once he gets a big multi-year deal).

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Bonds will be a DH this next season. Angels or Yankees.

ARod won't be dealt.

Cubs will overspend for someone of note. And the person will tank.

5. leo1

leo1 Active Member

fuck a-rod. fuck bonds.

any ideas as to which pitchers the twins might covet? as of now they have one starter. johan santana will win the cy young in two weeks but after him it's a bunch of rookies and no names. boof bonser pitched solidly the last two months so i assume he goes into spring training pencilled into the rotation, but the other rookies (including liriano, whom i fully anticipate will be another kerry wood) are question marks, radke will either retire or sit out the year and silva is garbage.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Regardless of what the Cubs do this offseason you can rest assured that how good it looks at the time it will be absolutely the wrong move.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I still can't believe there's a Major League pitcher named after Michael J. Fox's girlfriend from Teen Wolf (the one he ends up with after dumping the blonde).

8. casty33

casty33 Active Member

It's impossible to consider off-season trades until we know where free-agent pitchers Barry Zito and Jason Schmidt wind up.

And I agree that ARod is not going anywhere.

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

You better be rolling your eyes, BYH. lol

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I just don't see the Yankees making a deal involving A-Rod without getting pitching help back and that means Zambrano. Ramirez might come up, too, but he can declare himself a free agent due to a clause in his contract, so it makes no sense for him to be the main piece in the package the Yankees get back.

The Angels have the depth of talent and the cash, though if they get Rodriguez, then they either have him at third base or they move Orlando Cabrera out of position.

Anaheim would be better served hoping Ramirez does go the free agent route and sign him and then go after a center fielder like Gary Matthews, Jr.

11. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

All I'm saying is that the Angels are the team to watch this hot stove league season.

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Liriano could be out for the year if he has the surgery he's considering.

And I think the Tigers are going to go hard after Gary Matthews Jr. They can put him in CF and bat leadoff, probably put Granderson in right and bat him sixth or seventh and Ordonez moves to DH.

Draft saved Draft deleted