1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Life Without the Web'

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Interesting series by cartoonist Joe Sturm on his months-long retreat from the Internet.

http://www.slate.com/id/2249562/entry/2249563/

The genesis of the idea was apparently because he found himself more and more to be wasting time on the Internet - Google searches, message boards, social networking, etc., etc. We've all been there, I think.

Raises a couple questions:

(1) Do you ever get concerned about spending too much time on the Internet? Like life is passing you by, but you just can't stop compulsively checking the Web.

(2) Could you do what he did?

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

When I'm not at work, I spend very little time on the Internet.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I could probably deal without the Internet, but not without email.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It's a necessity for work. Otherwise, it's fine as long as you do not tie too much of yoursele up with it

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Most of us have done our jobs without it. It's a necessity only if we are competing against others who use it. But if it was unavailable to everyone, then we would do our jobs without it.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Fine, BT. You go to LA via car. I'll take a plane

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'd love to see exactly how people at ESPN.com or CNN.com or NFL.com are supposed to do their jobs without the internet, BTE. Please share.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

A writer from Cincinnati Magazine wrote a story a month or two ago (sorry no link) about living off the grid, she made herself live like she was back in high school in the early 1990s--no internet, no cell phone (land line OK), no TiVo or DVDs. She watched a lot of VHS tapes and was pretty much miserable.

9. BTExpress

It was kind of implied that it does not apply if your job IS the web. Didn't think a qualification that obvious was necessary.

Yes, workers at Google need the internet, too. I get it.

This I do not get.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

But you don't know that dooley's job ISN'T the web. So when he said it was a necessity, and you said it wasn't, you kind of took the qualification out of it, eh?

11. BTExpress

It was a general observation, not a dooley-specific observation.

Just came out badly because it was dooley's quote that was altered.

But my "most of us" and "only if we are competing against others who use it" qualifications I thought were sufficient.

12. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I sometimes visit a place for weeks at a time that has no cell phone service, Internet or TV.

It's refreshing.

Draft saved Draft deleted