1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Life Insurance. I Have None. Do You?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Jan 15, 2009.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I have life insurance through work for me, the queen and the three kiddos. God forbid if anything happened to any of them, the financial part is just something I wouldn't want to deal with. It's pretty cheap too and not a bad policy.

Also, for any of you who might have stepchildren like I do. For fuck's sake DO NOT put your stepkid as a beneficiary. When the queen and I married, she already had a daughter. I wanted to make her my second benefactor, but the our business manager said, "Do you trust her father?"

I think those of you who know me know that answer. I don't trust him any further than I could throw him. So I named my brother as the second benefactor with the understanding the kids get the money.

2. jps

jps Active Member

good point, king.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I could go on and on about this but I'll keep it short for now.
    Term.
    Only term.
    Whole life is about as big a rip-off as there is out there.
    Your needs decrease over time. When you are young with kids and mortgage, etc., you need more insurance than you will need later.
    If you do have whole life with cash value, check to see how much you get if you die on a 100,000 policy for example. I bet it is 100,000. Your cash value becomes part of that. You are essentially insuring yourself.
    Separate your living and death benefits. And don't buy the crap about "borrowing" your cash value at a great rate. It is YOUR money.

Lord, I could just go on forever on this one.
    (and many 'financial planners' push whole life over term because the commission is much, much MUCH greater. They don't make shit off term. Insurance is not an investment. It is protection against economic loss. Period. Is car insurance an investment? Is home insurance? Hell no. So why is life? Invest elsewhere and make a shitpot more money)

4. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

WFW

5. jps

jps Active Member

hellboy's friend disagrees with you. and me. and everyone else that's posted here, it seems.
    (sorry, hb, but dem's the facts.)

6. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I'm worth a shitload more dead than alive.
    Shhhhh. Don't tell my wife.

7. jps

jps Active Member

she already knows, joe. they all do.

8. Cadet

Cadet Guest

If you have a kid, make a will. Period. Like, yesterday.

At the very least, any life insurance you have should cover your funeral expenses (yes, it does cost to get cremated and have a memorial service ... there may be a church hall rental, urn cost, whatever).

It should also be enough to cover any debt you may have. You don't want to pass that debt on to your next of kin. Mortgage, car loan, credit cards, whatever. Some debt dies with you (student loans, I think) but other types don't. Find out about your debt and get insured accordingly.

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Cadet is right -- cremation costs. My friend's dad was cremated. She went with all the cheapest options (long story -- they were estranged and he had no other family) and it still cost her something like $2,000.

I know that writing a will freaks people out, but you have to do it. Especially if you have kids. Making your wishes known aside, it makes dealing with what you leave behind so much easier for your grieving wife/husband/kids/parents.

10. Hellboy

Hellboy Guest

Your posts suggest you are a petty, petty person.

11. jps

jps Active Member

no, that's tom. he's the petty. you've probably not met him yet.

(I did ask, in all seriousness, why you feel the way you do, other than just taking the word of an insurance salesman. haven't seen anything on that, and still would be interested.)

12. leo1

leo1 Active Member

is there an 'understanding' between you and bro or is it written in the will? as a lawyer i've seen enough vicious family disputes that i would advise you to get it written in the will.

Draft saved Draft deleted