1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Life Insurance. I Have None. Do You?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Jan 15, 2009.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I got my life insurance at roughly the same point of time you and your child are in, Pete. I freelance full-time, so I don't have any company life insurance to fall back on. Got a 250k 20-year term policy, which has no cash value. If I don't kick off within 20 years, it just runs out and I buy another policy or whatever. Costs me $25 a month. Maybe that's expensive, I don't know, I have a great relationship with my State Farm guy so I wasn't going to get it anywhere else.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

We bought some additional life insurance and did the will when the baby was born. It really has given me peace of mind.

My brother-in-law dropped dead at the age of 47 after working out at the gym, and left my sister-in-law and 2 kids in high school with almost no life insurance. Nightmare. You don't want that to happen.

3. jps

jps Active Member

sucker.

>> seriously, term is the best way to go - esp. if you save/invest at the same time.

4. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Seriously, $25? That's it? That seems like petty cash for peace of mind. I'm calling tomorrow. I just hope I don't need a physical. I have high blood pressure. But I'm not on meds for it. So it's not that high.

5. jps

jps Active Member

see my post above, pete ... they will often make cash value sound like this fantastic investment tool for retirement or whatever, but it's really not the case. the returns are awful. invest in a mutual fund and actually make some money. and, anyway, if you die, all that savings is gone straight into the pockets of the insurance company.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

When I took out my policy, a guy came to my house and took a blood sample (or was it urine? I can't remember!) and asked me some questions. Relatively painless.

7. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Ah, shit. I had high cholesterol last time I had blood done!

8. jps

jps Active Member

pete, here's my set of policies:

for the kiddo, we've got "15 pay to life" or something like that. we pay premiums on her for 15 years. we don't pay anything after that, but she's covered for life for 25k. do it now - if they find something wrong, God forbid, can't get the plan. but get it now (there's no test for her), she's set. for that, it's about $25 per month.

I'm on 20-yeal, level term. I had to have a physical and blood draw and a pee test. that will help determine how much it costs. there are, if I recall, three levels. I made the middle range, otherwise could have gotten it a bit cheaper. still, just $40 a month gets me $300k.

mrs. jps is $25 per month for 50k for her universal life policy. (she's got some health issues, so couldn't get the term deal.)

9. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

I have a friend who's a financial adviser, and he gives horrible advice. My advice is not to get any financial/insurance/advice from friends, or those who are selling such things.

Consumer Reports says to go with term.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Given broadly increased life expectencies, term's pretty cheap, these days. Check on line and make a couple of calls. You'll be amazed, and you won't have to settle
    for some no-name outfit to snag a wholly-satisfactory deal.

11. Hellboy

Hellboy Guest

I just hung up the phone with my friend who has spent his life working for insurance companies. I told him what you wrote. He was so embarrassed after he learned your point of view, he said, "Well if JPS said term is best, by all means, listen to the anonymous message board poster instead of me, and give him my apologies."

I'm not sure, but I believe he might have had a sarcastic twinge in his voice.

12. Hellboy

Hellboy Guest

Does this mean I have to make another phone call?

Draft saved Draft deleted