1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Lick" as an offensive term, you're (kidding) me

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sweetness, May 23, 2007.

1. MonitorLizard

MonitorLizard Member

My personal best: "Simon won't face charges for beating sausage in Milwaukee."

Ah, the things you can get away with at a college paper in the summer semester.

2. I once got a call from an old lady who was offended by a stretch headline, "Murderer's Row," I had on a baseball story about the middle of a team's lineup.

She was about 137 years old, and I had to explain to her about the 1927 Yankees.

The response I got was, "Well, I was alive back then. I guess I should have known that."

3. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

My editor likes to tell the story of an old Minnesota Star Tribune headline (I think he said it was the Star Tribune...) when the vikings were missing their kicker:
    "Vikings win with Cox out"

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

How the hell did you know about that!!!???

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I once saw a paper use the headline "Orioles gun down Indians". That newspaper, and the former sports editor, are on Indian hate lists.

6. Sweetness

Sweetness Member

Yeah I'm in NorCal. And to think I originally laid out the page with "Giants lick A's," realized what I had done -- actually made an audible "holy shit" -- when I picked it off the proofer and ran back to my computer to fix it.

7. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

There's an urban legend around our office that a previous sports editor wrote (and ran) the following headline:

Navratilova licks Evert down under

Of course, it was in reference to Martina winning the Australian Open and the few employees who remain from when the SE was there swear the headline appeared in the paper. Now, that was, what 1981? Today, that headline would likely get someone fired.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you are a piece of shit bigot aren't you?

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

No just your average garden variety bigot, thank you ;D

10. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Sing this:

My ding-a-ling
    My ding-a-ling
    Everybody loves my ding-a-ling!

11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

A coach/correspondent wrote up a little piece on his summer league softball team. He called one of his pitchers a hurler in the story. I edited it out because it's just bad writing IMO. Good thing, as I later found out that she was bulimic.

12. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Imus' favorite headline following a New York beat-down over Baltimore:

Yanks smack O's.

Draft saved Draft deleted