1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Library cards

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by buckweaver, May 14, 2008.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I just looked in my wallet, and found I have seven (7!) library cards that are still valid. This must come as a shock to many, but I'm a nerd like that -- I love going to a new library and heading straight to the 796s to see what they have in stock. And yes, I'll go out of my way to check out a library in a neighboring town, or on my way to work. And university libraries. And big-city downtown libraries.

At the risk of outing, I've got a card from the L.A. and Pasadena public libraries, from the San Bernardino public library and the university in town, from my hometown's city library, from the town I used to live in (until last month) and I just got a new one from the town I now work in. I'll pick up a new card, my eighth, from the town I currently live in probably later this week.

That's in addition to at least a half-dozen cards that are no longer valid, from Athens and other places I used to live/work/play/school.

Wondered how many the rest of y'all have, and if you "collect" library cards like I do.

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I have library cards from places where I had long running gigs. Stratford is one but my favourite is my library card from Wexford, Ireland.

3. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

I went through the wallet the other night and found something I had completely forgotten about - cards for Blockbuster and Hollywood Video. Which, in retrospect, became unusable with the advent of Netflix.

Oh, and I also found an expired insurance card and a GM car care card for the previous car I owned.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I've only got one, for my local library, but I've had it for 31 years.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I've moved around even more than Buck, so I have quite a few library cards, from three different states.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I don't know if I still have a library card, but I have a copy card for the big university I used to attend.

7. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Maybe my local library is just progressive, but are actual cards still issued widespread? When I got a library card, it actually wasn't. Instead, I got a keyring card.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Speaking from experience :D, I'll say that all but one of my cards are actual cards. The only one of mine that was available on a keyring was from the L.A. Public Library, the biggest of the bunch. All the smaller towns still issue cards.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Good for all of you! You can get a keyring card at my library.

And, Buckweaver, I think you would be happy walking up to the 796s in my library, since I'm in charge of buying them. We even have a few UM books for you! (But only a few.)

10. pallister

pallister Guest

What a dork!

I don't think I've had a library card since my first year out of high school.

I really do need to start frequenting the library more because books are freakin' expensive. $20 for two nights of reading ain't worth it.

11. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Having fun isn't hard when you've got a library card.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I'm waiting for Lavar Burton to pop in wearing a skin-tight polo and a pair of Jordaches that he wore in an early-'80s Reading Rainbow episode.

Draft saved Draft deleted