1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Liberal bias exposed and admonished in newsrooms - progress is made!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John D. Villarreal, Aug 16, 2007.

?

Who was right about this bias dispute?

1. ST Editor & Joe Scarborough - bias has no place in news reporting

13 vote(s)
    52.0%
  2. Newsroom staff - what's wrong with having an opinion even if you work in news?

10 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Not sure

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Maybe it was a booabuster.

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I like how you throw out the "reporters..." line. It fits in nicely with the argument. See, the word archliberal exists. So if you wanted to argue why someone is labeled with archconservative and someone else isn't labeled archliberal then I can understand. However, due to the conservative meme that liberal=bad, I'm sure that many reporters shy away from such connotations because of the negative inclination that they hold.

3. OK, then, let's say "ultra-, ultra-" or "arch-, arch-." Tomato, tomato.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I only respond to uberliberal, myself. I like the ironic Teutonic flavor.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

You forgot the umlauts.

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Yes, this was unprofessional.

It was also just another example not of liberal bias, which conservatives have made a cottage industry out of shouting "LIBERAL BIAS" at every non-GOP fellating story, but of the way the mainstream media contorts itself and rends its garments to appease the Right in this country.

Yet, we don't see this coming from the other side, do we?

When John Moody et al at Fox News apologizes for the way it covers news, perhaps I'll pay more attention. Until then, it's like boxing the drummer from Def Leppard.

7. If that's the case, it must not be working too well, because things like this keep happening.

Like I said, when similar adjectives are used to describe Nancy Pelosi and Newt Gingrich, then maybe you'll have a point. Better yet, take Twain's advice on adjectives and don't use them at all.

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

See the reason a reporter wouldn't label a person as "liberal" is because of the connotation. Conservative has no such negative connotation to it. Thus, by using a word with a connotation the author would be adding opinion into an article you claim should be a straight story.

9. Yawn

Yawn New Member

The fact it does have negative connotation should tell you all you need to know.

10. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

THAT, we can agree on.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Because of people of your ilk using it thusly?

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I've always loved how people like Yawn and others think liberal is some BAD thing...check the definitions:

1. favorable to progress or reform, as in political or religious affairs.
    2. (often initial capital letter) noting or pertaining to a political party advocating measures of progressive political reform.
    3. of, pertaining to, based on, or advocating liberalism.
    4. favorable to or in accord with concepts of maximum individual freedom possible, esp. as guaranteed by law and secured by governmental protection of civil liberties.
    5. favoring or permitting freedom of action, esp. with respect to matters of personal belief or expression: a liberal policy toward dissident artists and writers.
    6. of or pertaining to representational forms of government rather than aristocracies and monarchies.
    7. free from prejudice or bigotry; tolerant: a liberal attitude toward foreigners.
    8. open-minded or tolerant, esp. free of or not bound by traditional or conventional ideas, values, etc.
    9. characterized by generosity and willingness to give in large amounts: a liberal donor.
    10. given freely or abundantly; generous: a liberal donation.
    11. not strict or rigorous; free; not literal: a liberal interpretation of a rule.
    12. of, pertaining to, or based on the liberal arts.
    13. of, pertaining to, or befitting a freeman.
    –noun 14. a person of liberal principles or views, esp. in politics or religion.
    15. (often initial capital letter) a member of a liberal party in politics, esp. of the Liberal party in Great Britain.

So can anyone tell me why, in America, a land built on the concept of being more free than any place else on Earth, these ideas would be considered bad?

Draft saved Draft deleted