1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leyland explodes in on-air tirade

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, May 20, 2008.

1. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Man, that went from calm, swearing Leyland to salty, swearing Leyland midway through. Wouldn't call it exploding though.

2. rube

rube Active Member

Nah, not an explosion -- he simply did what he's always done, tell it like it is. Grilli was another guy that I couldn't for the life of me understand how he had a job in that town for more than about a half season. He was absolutely dreadful literally every single time they threw him out there in any type of difficult situation. They could be up four and you'd be damn sure he was about to walk three guys and give up a triple or some shit before throwing a fit and getting the hook.
    If they were up 12 -- he was lights out though.

3. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

And right now Inge has more homers, more walks and a better OBP than Rodriguez. And he only has two fewer RBIs. And Pudge has played in more games this season.

I'm not saying they're equal. I'm saying at the beginning of the season, Inge was one of te best Tigers and he was taken out of the lineup anyway.

4. rube

rube Active Member

Yeah I'd agree with that, sure he was the best taken out of the lineup and he was hitting very well early on. But he's always done that. He'll be hot as wild fire for about two weeks and then he'll go 2-for-his next 87 or something. And look absolutely dreadful doing it. Plus, he's always had relatively decent protection in that lineup as well. As deep as it is, he hits ninth which in middle innings means he's in between Granderson and quite often Pudge or someone like Renteria ... he's not exactly in a terrible spot. He always gets pitches to hit because he's the guy you take a chance pitching to. Always. And yet he rarely makes a huge difference.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

but is he 40?

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yup. Jason Grilli should kiss Jim Leyland's ass once for each day he was allowed to collect toward a major league pension.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Brandon Inge: career .240 hitter, career .393 SLG. He fucking blows.

Pedro Feliz is better than Brandon Inge, and Pedro Feliz sucks.

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

And of course, no doubt when he does quit on the Tigers he will be celebrated as this great manager, this great guy even though it will be the FOURTH franchise he has quit on while still under contract.

This guy is the most over-rated, over-hyped person in professional sports and it is mostly because all of these guys in the media have a lovefest with him every day because they like him.

He is no different than Bobby Petrino -- well except the media likes him......

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Well, I can't say THAT take on the situation stuns me.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

You should see the fellatio-fests on Leyland in the Detroit papers.

Anything and everything he does, even when it blows up in his face, is hailed as yet more evidence of his crusty, crafty baseball brilliance.

And when things go bad for the team, it's due to the "overpaid" (there's one guy in particular who puts snotty salary references in every single goddamn game story) and "lazy" players "not buying in" to his solid, fundamental way of playing the game. "The right way to play," to coin a phrase.

:eek: :eek:

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

If this didn't appear in column form somewhere, it surely should have.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

And I heard he wanted to build a stadium with public money. And name it after Larry Brown.

Draft saved Draft deleted