1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Letterman extorted for $2 million for sex tales

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, Oct 1, 2009.

1. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

holy shit...this is going to be good. Woody ain't letting him off the hook.

2. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Curious; why does having sex make him a "dirtbag"?

3. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

... and what, exactly, did he "call" Palin's daughter?

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

And now for my next guest, Rick Pitino!

5. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

RE crowd reaction, laughing --- they didn't know what the hell was going on, obviously, whether this was some sort of quirky "bit" or what. You get tickets to Letterman, you aren't expecting a story about an extortion plot. And he did a few little humorous twists there, particularly early in the story, the 6 a.m. stuff.

Am I crazy, or when they went to break, did the band play a bar or two from "Shakedown Street"?

6. Killick

Those aren't mutually exclusive. :p
    Yeah, I think you're right, btw.

7. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Karma can do funny things. I felt very uneasy watching it and Woody's talking about it. I like Letterman, with that said, I see him in a different light after tonight. Not in a major "I'll never watch him again" sense, but in a "We thought we knew so much about him, but in reality, we really don't know them at all" feeling.

Let me ask this, since I found out about this story moments before the show came on. Why did he come out on national television and in front of his audience to tell them about the his testimony to the grand jury and that someone was exhorting him? Was there anything to gain, other than get public sympathy and support on his side? Or was it to squelch any potential powerkeg with his admission that he was banging several staffers?

I would have let my damn lawyers do the talking. I didn't feel it was the right venue or situation to do it. He put the audience in a bad spot. They didn't know how to react and handle it.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Show of hands. How many people here think the women slept with Letterman because they were actually attracted to him?

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yes, that was the good ole' Grateful Dead song.

10. Killick

Well, again, the devil's in the details. You're assuming they're nubile blonde-and-busty staffers.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I think he wanted to put out his side of the story in his own words. Nothing wrong with that.

Put the audience in a bad spot? How? They weren't embarrassed by it in any way. Hell, most of 'em probably walked out and tweeted about how awesome it was!

12. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

TMZ has learned the identity of the alleged extortionist who was arrested today for attempted grand larceny in the first degree. He is 51-year-old Robert Halderman who lives in Norwalk, CT. He is an employee of "48 Hours" and has been suspended pending results of the investigation.

http://www.tmz.com/2009/10/02/david-letterman-cbs-extortion-arrest-2-million/

Draft saved Draft deleted