1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

letter of appreciation to my boss

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Dear Boss,
    I just want to tell you kudos! Your ability to expand my copy through the liberal use of adjectives and adverbs is truly something to behold. The way you can turn the word 'shifts' (as in the length of time a person works) into 'short and mid-term regulated work assignments' is remarkable. I have never seen somebody with your ability to turn 100 words of copy into 130 words without actually adding any facts. I am in awe of you, sir! Beyond that, your ability to turn nouns into verbs is extraordinary. I did not realize that 'impact' and 'action' were things a person could do.

Your editing skills also extend to time management - you truly are the total package, sir! I have never experienced the kind of feelings I experienced in your office this afternoon, as we took nearly three hours to edit a six-page, 2,000-word document. That's nearly 18 seconds per word! Sir, you inspire me - I know with just a little more effort on my part, we can surpass that 20-second mark next time!

I also love your helpful graphic design tips. The way you helpfully point out all the ways my work can be improved, for example by minimizing the graphical elements to make room for the ever-expanding text, is appreciated. I also appreciate the way you took the cover I spent an hour designing and made several tweaks - including repositioning and resizing the logo so that it is the large, dominant element instead of the carefully selected image that had previously served as the page's anchor. I know I have a Master's degree in graphic design and have won nearly a dozen awards for my work, while you majored in psychology and can barely slog your way through MS Word, but clearly you are the design master.

Finally, sir, I just want to thank you. Spending an extra two hours of unpaid overtime to do these things was truly a blessing. If I hadn't been at work with you, surely I would have instead sat in my car in the parking lot, ceaselessly twiddling my thumbs as I awaited the beginning of the next work day. My girlfriend was angry when I canceled our dinner plans, but she just doesn't understand the creative process like you do sir.

You are truly a remarkable man. I only wish you could see yourself the way I do.

Kindest regards,
    Me

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

You lost me a little at the end of your third paragraph, but I'm sure most people here feel your pain one way or another.

Draft saved Draft deleted