1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Letter from a parent that makes me want to quit on the spot, now.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Brain of J, Jan 12, 2007.

1. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Yes, your contribution of "use a faster shutter speed" is equivalent to splitting the atom.

Duh, Spot. Duh.

2. On the other hand, your sig is a deft little bit of shiv work.

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Shouldn't you be out worshiping Barack Obama?

4. What's worse is when they call right before you have planned a big feature or to cover a game for said school, because you just know those people see the paper the day or two later and go, "Hey, my call worked. I should bitch at them more often."

5. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Why does everyone keep talking about assists? If he's having trouble keeping stats, he really shouldn't try to count dimes. He should focus on trifectas and the kind of hardware that was won.

6. So true. I had a crazy swimming mom write me an angry e-mail DEMANDING (her words, not mine) that I run a story and photo about the swim team on the front page of the sports section next week because our previous coverage had been sub-par. Meanwhile, I already had most of the design done and I had already packaged a swimming story and photo on the front. They deserved it, so I left it the way it was (although I did think pretty hard about moving it inside). I just know that when she picked up the paper she felt she had "won." I wanted to drive over to her house and punch that smug bitch in her mouth.

7. statrat

statrat Member

Fixed.

8. Don't quit. Don't take it personally. Just take more care. If you see these parents, just smile and assure them that you're eager to improve.

9. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

ask em if they ever made a fucking mistake in life?

on a serious note, as others have said, take it to heart and work to improve. get the nuts and bolts down first,a then when you are comfortable try more. the biggest thing readers want (read high school parents) is johnny's name spelled right and with the right amount of points.

10. I had a mom call me once all pissed off that i didn't mention her son in my story about his team, said it would hurt his chances of getting a scholarship. I told her if her son was as good as she thought he was my story would have no affect on his scholarship. she was stunned to hear the news and stunned to hear i had friends who got college scholarships because they were good, not because they were mentioned in some dumb story. i never heard back from her again and nothing ever happened to me. sometimes it's ok to tell these parents to stick it up their ass. some of them fucking deserve it.

11. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Another batch of Kool-Aid is ready.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Draft saved Draft deleted