1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's try this again: Candidates and their qualifications...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CopyGK, Oct 9, 2006.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

You have no idea of the situation, Tom.

When I informed them of my intentions -- to leave the paper and become an Army aviator -- they laughed in my face, literally.

And, yes, I still frequent this board -- I like some of the company.

Oh, by the way, I was also conveniently relocated 70 miles away after returning from a post 9/11 deployment, which forced me to leave a management slot and find another job on the bottom floor.

What was your question, again?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Tomas,

If you hear chopper blades, duck.

3. If the horn vibrates, though, you could have a career.

4. Gold

Gold Active Member

three bags: If somebody told a newspaper editor they wanted to be an Army aviator, most newspaper editors probably wouldn't believe you were serious. It would be outside their experience. People leave for PR, people leave to be teachers, people leave to be freelance writers and editors. For one thing, most people who work at newspapers are older than people who decide to enter the military. Another thing is the type of people who work at newspapers are usually the opposite of people in the military in the sense that reporters and editors are supposed to be dispassionate observers while military people need to be active to get a result.

If you are in newspapers long enough, you are likely to get involved in a situation where you are better than somebody who gets a better position. I understand your desire to, as you put it, thumb your nose at some people. When I was younger I often believed revenge was a good thing - I hope to teach my daughters the futility of that emotion.

But you know what? It really doesn't serve any purpose. Say what you have to say and leave it at that. Being a successful Army aviator and a capable newsperson should be revenge enough.

5. three_bags_full

You're absolutely right, Gold. But the child in me wants to say nai-nainy-boo-boo!

6. Gold

Gold Active Member

embrace your inner child, but listen to your rational adult

7. three_bags_full

The more I think about it, Gold, the more I disagree with your initial post.

It doesn't matter who's employed where, how old he/she is.

Take this scenario, for example:

You're an SE at a small paper and one of your reporters tells you he's interviewing with some large metro.

Do you chuckle while he's in the room?

I don't think so.

8. ronalong

ronalong Guest

Cadet, if you are smoking hot, would you please apply for our next job opening?

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Killian's, newbie.

10. Gold

Gold Active Member

No, that would be wrong to chuckle if you said you were interested in joining the armed forces. And I didn't mean to say anything to upset you; I wanted to make the point that revenge is a wasted sentiment.

If you told me, I would probably be a double take and ask if you were sure. I might try to talk you out of it - the military is different because you would be in the line of fire and you could get killed. That's why I say the military is different. Also, professionally, the people in the military are supposed to follow authority (I know it's not that simple and it has to be legitimate orders) and journalists are supposed to question authority (that's not that simple either, as too often there is blind acceptance of authority statements).

I think if somebody told a supervisor they were going to become a Catholic priest, I think the reaction would be "Oh, they won't stick with it." It would be hard to imagine somebody willing to go on another path, especially one with less of a prospect for earning better money.

I mean, there are people who don't like police officers and might attack them, but most people support and respect police officers. With the military, part of the object is that the goal is to kill each other. I know people fight in war to protect freedom, their homeland, etc. But it doesn't mean people don't worry about people they know. You sound committed to being an Army aviator judging from the posts, and I wish you good luck and safe journeys.

My father is a World War II navy veteran and when a military recruiter contacted my brother, my father told the recruiter not to call and told my brother never believe anything a recruiter said. That is not an unreasonable thing to say.

As for telling somebody you are applying at another paper, I say never to do that because it is never in your interest to tell your supervisor you want to get a better job. I've said that on other threads.

11. three_bags_full

It's not profession specific, so to speak. A supervisor who truly cared for and wanted the best for a subordinate would be supportive, no matter what.

And in this case, both knew I'd been in the Guard for a long time and it was something I was interested in.

12. Gold

Gold Active Member

See, I don't know if I would have told them all of the details. How would you benefit from letting them know?

Draft saved Draft deleted