1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's talk about "talk about"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by boundforboston, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

"Talk about rebounding" would have been equally effective.

2. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I once had a freelancer who did that. He was about 80 when we started our paper up and had been covering local sports for years. One night a football coach pulled me aside and mentioned the old guy would ask a long, rambling question, get a 'yes' answer and boom, instant quote. I'm sure he pulled that trick for many years.

3. Doc Holliday

So what's your opinion on the ethics of using this quote?

Personally, I say you can't use it in quotations. However, paraphrasing it as an indirect quote is fair game.

4. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

More so probably. You'd sound like a TV reporter, rather than an ignorant jerk.

5. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

That's 100 percent a paraphrasing situation.

6. Doc Holliday

So are we done talking about "talk about" ?

7. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I threw up in my mouth when I learned my freelancer was passing off his rambling questions as quotes. Absolutely a paraphrase situation.

BDC99 likes this.
  8. Doc Holliday

Yeah, it's pretty bad. But, honestly, nothing surprises me anymore, not even the editors that let this kind of shit slide.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

At the televised newser after tonight's Warriors loss to the T'wolves, a reporter started his question "Talk about ...:" and went into a long description of a rotation situation.

When he finally finishes, Kerr looks up and says "What do you want me to say about it?" Of course I thought of this place.

Doc Holliday and murphyc like this.
  10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Watched a ton of Bryson DeChambeau's presser at the Masters yesterday, and you know what I didn't hear? A single "talk-about question." Refreshing.

11. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Heard a new one tonight.

"Can you talk about......."

At least he asked rather than commanded lol.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

:rolleyes:

Draft saved Draft deleted