1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's stop rehashing Tiger Woods' fall

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gameofthecentury, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Gameofthecentury

Gameofthecentury New Member

Stop the madness. No more Tiger Woods anniversary stories!

Bob Harig's column:

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/columns/story?columnist=harig_bob&id=5834716

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I think we need to stop participating in the rehabilitation of his image, even by saying "Let's not focus on his fall from grace!" I don't want to see any more stories about how he's a changed man who now realizes the power of making mac and cheese for his kids. Yes, I know it was a Newsweek essay he penned, but I'm already gagging at the prospect of "Tiger redemption!" stories when he wins his next major.

We're just buying into the lie again.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Are you kidding? Newspapers live for the anniversary. I swear, on the night of the crash, newspapers all over Florida assigned editors to be in charge of the one-year-out stories. There were meetings at 10 a.m. every Tuesday for the entire year.

Just wait till the five-years-out, though. Those will be special.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Looks like the Tiger Woods image-rebuilding campaign continues. Last week Tiger started using his twitter account to reconnect with the fans and went on ESPN radio's Mike and Mike show to reconnect some more with the fans.

GofC, you registered 20 minutes ago to post a throw-away column saying it's time to leave poor Tiger alone? Why?

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I understand skepticism, but how do you know? Are you saying the same thing about Vick?

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I hate the easy anniversary stories, but the apparent affect on his play was so dramatic that I can see looking back on the year.

7. Gameofthecentury

Gameofthecentury New Member

Sorry, CB. I'm a newbie here. I'll lurk for a while before posting again....

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I used to be king of the anniversary story.

Now I have adopted a former editor's idea that they are largely just cheap ways to produce easy content.

I guess one year is usually acceptable because you can update readers on where a story has gone from when it was front-page news. People lose track, and one year is a good occasion to summarize.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I read that and Jim Nantz started talking and fellating at the same time.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Doug Ferguson gets sloppy seconds?

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Speaking of anniversary stories ... should you do a 20 year, or wait for the 25? Should you do 5 or 15 year anniversaries?

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The one unanswered question regarding Tiger: He went through sex rehab, yet Elin still left him. Does this mean he's no longer a sex addict and is free to stick it in every Perkins, IHOP and Denny's hostess he can find?

Draft saved Draft deleted